Wilting Courgettes

• 10 Replies

hubballi

Wilting Courgettes
« on: July 12, 2012, 18:05 »
I sowed some courgettes last April in small modules and they came up a treat. I transplanted them a few weeks ago in a large container filled with new B and Q (highly recommended here) compost. They have deteriorated to such a degree that they are almost hanging over the edge of the container with stunted growth , pale colour and the stems going thing partway down. They don't look like they are going to survive, let alone produce fruit. I just don't understand it. I can never seem to grow a successful courgette. Even a shop bought one last year (yellow type) had just one fruit that stayed the same size (around 3 inches) all season (much to everyone's disbelief here) and then it just died.

Again, I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. The ones planted outside in the garden are doing much better with greener foliage. I have fed them with a bit of chicken manure to see if I can revive them but I am not hopeful  :(

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: Wilting Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 21:51 »
are the ones that are in the ground and doing better in a more sheltered spot?  Or, are your pots getting waterlogged? 

courgettes up and down the country seem to have been struggling to get started - ours definitely are as it's been either wet, breezy, very cool or very muggy.  Like you we have ours in v£rve compost, but I don't think that's a factor here as other things, more hardy (brassicas are thriving) are growing away happily in the same compost.  Tip for courgettes in pots  - fill the bottom third with well rotted manure then top up with compost mixed with slow release fertiliser like growmore.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 21:52 »
Too wet, not warm enough.
could dust stem with sulphur and cover with peat mulch.
recommend dr hessayon book, veg and herb

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 22:11 »
Mine are planted in the earth and have made no progress for the last month.  Leaves yellowing and fruit set 4 weeks ago and has not grown longer than a small finger.

I do believe its a combination of all the bad weather and whilst Cheshire has not had nearly as much rain as the rest of the country, we certainly need some sunshine for the courgettes, and all the other crops, to get 'em going.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 14:19 »
just need that blast of sun and warmth, got 4 couragette plants but i don't think we will have much courgettes this year unless you grow them in a warm greenhouse

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 18:07 »
I'm happy to say that in the last week all my courgette plants have suddenly started growing and first fruit have appeared from nowhere, just about ready to cut. In fact I think we're about to enter a serious courgette glut because I've planted too many again :) And that's wonderful news because last year I had a total failure on the courgette front, which was a first for me.

Can't say the same for the squash or outdoor cucumbers though, which are still very small and immature for the time of year. Doubt I'll get much from them this year, nor the outdoor tomatoes.

Living in Hope

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 22:04 »
Courgettes doing Ok but squash just sulking

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 23:20 »
I feel terrible reading your posts - mine are doing fab  8)

Grew mine on in 12 inch pots and planted them out early June.  Some people at my site planted theirs out in May and they have sulked after the cold, wet weather we had in late May.  Although still wet, the weather here is warm(ish).  

I am guessing the few degrees difference in temperature between Chester area and the South Coast is just making all the difference in the growth.

Cues in the GH are doing rubbish though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 23:21 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

sarajane

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 19:12 »
WOW, I was just thinking has anybody had any courgettes yet and you show up with a photo like that.  Well done  .  I have however picked my first 2 cucumbers today

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 19:13 »
They stems went limp and quite mushy and the plants finally keeled over and died  :(

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 19:19 »
They stems went limp and quite mushy and the plants finally keeled over and died  :(

Afraid that's just awful bad fortune Hubbali. It happens!

There's no accounting for bad luck with the weather, but next year, why, you'll be a courgette millionaire!

Keep going, and let Angela's picture make you feel good, like it does me!

xx
Wilting courgettes and squashes

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2022, 12:00
by snowdrops
xx
Courgettes all wilting and Dying- any help?

Started by wilko10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 19:11
by Yorkie
xx
wilting cauliflower

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 20:12
by Grubbypaws
xx
why is my lettuce wilting?

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 21:48
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 28 queries.