Spot the difference

• 27 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Spot the difference
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 12:53 »
Nice experiment! What were the other two? I would particularly like to avoid the one on the far right, but it looks similar to my Verve results.

and some of mine in Levington's - bought when I couldn't get Jack's Magic  :nowink:

Just had 6 bags of Miracle Grow delivered, so my peppers will get a nice surprise when they're potted up then  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 13:14 »
Very interesting DD - not often we get a side-by-side comparison of the performance of different composts.

Wondering what the most significant difference is - nutrients presumably (I've suspected for a few years now that the added nutrient component is likely to be one of the first things to suffer in the cut-throat MPC market.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 13:19 »
The tomatoes are thriving on it. (The Kent Blue peas are direct in the soil).

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 13:44 »
It is Miracle Grow Multipurpose?

Just looking at Homebase and they seem to have it at a reasonable multi buy price (not advert intended)?!?

Hannah :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 13:51 »
Yes, that was. I've bought their seed compost for my smaller seeds and they seem to be doing well. I've recently bought their moisture control compost, so we'll see how we get on with that.

Lardman

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 13:54 »
Heck I'm surprised any of them even germinated  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 22:52 »
Well my Levington's stuff has been absolutely rubbish!
I'm going to buy a bag of MG tomorrow!! :D

AnneB

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 23:01 »
Well I need some more compost, so will give it a go.  I have liked Clover in the past, but will be good to compare.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 06:38 »
We're using Miracle Grow All-Purpose for everything again this year, it was pretty good last year too!

But why they have to make the granules bright blue, I don't understand...

Goosegirl

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 11:49 »
Not one for any sort of gardening hype, I tried MG with feed and water-retention granules for my troughs and hanging baskets last year. Whatever I've done in the past to emulate it because of the strong winds we get here, it was far better than I expected so I have two big bags waiting to be used as soon as I get some basket liners. I think I've mentioned it previously on here as well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 19:40 »
I've bought miracle grow for the past 2 years. Saw everyone was talking about jacks magic this year and I couldn't believe how cheap it was so I bought that instead this year....

I will be going back to miracle grow in the future!

AnneB

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 10:59 »
After this thread I looked up the latest Which? results for compost.  They only report on compost tested last year that has not been reformulated since then, so excludes some makes.

Interestingly, the Miracle Gro All Purpose enriched compost came top of the list for raising plants.  However it did not do well for sowing seeds.

The best compost for sowing seeds was Jack's Magic.  Not quite a best buy for raising plants although it did well

Levington's Original Multipurpose did well at both sowing seeds and raising plants but was not top of the list for both.
The two composts for containers that came top I have never heard of and seem to be astronomically expensive are Fertile Fibre Multipurpose and Melcourt Sylvagrow.   Levington's came next.

I would put a link on, but the Which? site is largely subscription only.   Hope this is OK Mods, but I thought it useful to post as it seems the experience of those on here is supported by the Which? tests.

Goosegirl

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 11:43 »
I get Which? and have posted their results in the past with no problem from the Mods. It is only their opinion so take it like everything else with a pinch of salt and try it out for yourself.

xx
Fantasio Tomatoes - Spot The Difference

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 16:27
by JayG
xx
Cabbage/cauli spot the difference

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 22:18
by shaun
xx
Spot the impostor

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 18:02
by Jen
xx
Black Spot - what to do

Started by Sweetpea C on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 09:07
by Sweetpea C

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 38 queries.