container dwarf fruit trees or currannts / blueberry bush suitable for the patio

• 4 Replies

tooo many seeds

what would you recommend as a patio fruit in a container,what size container would i need.complete novice here  :wub:

fatcat1955

The largest container you can get, and if you go for blueberries remember you generally need 2 different types for pollination. I would go for a 3 apples on 1 rootstock plant.

BabbyAnn

I would agree with the biggest pot suggestion.  With regards to what to grow - what would you like?  There are so many dwarf fruit trees around that easily grow in pots such as peach, apple, pear etc, or even different citrus fruits though you'd have to bring them indoors/somewhere frost free over winter.  It really is up to you.  I even have rhubarb in a big container and it makes for quite a striking looking plant on the patio with its bright red stems and huge dark green leaves ... it does need a lot of water over the warm summer months but generally is fine  :)

katiekate

I'm sure I read that you can fit 2 blueberry plants in something the size of a bath tub, just to give an indication of size. I think most things will be fine and it's often said that blueberry's will produce more when a little bit stressed (obviously not too much!). It will probably be the case that feeding and watering will be the biggest issue as they'll use up the nutrients in tubs rapidly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Blueberries set fruit better when accompanied by another variety of the same (or at least overlapping) flowering time. They don't have to be in the same container, just close enough to make sure the bees are likely to swap pollen between them.

Not sure about being stressed; they certainly won't appreciate the challenge of being grown in anything other than ericaceous soil/compost, or by being kept short of water at any time (rainwater preferably, especially if your tap water is hard.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Patio Fruit Trees

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 23:53
by gobs
xx
patio fruit trees

Started by pvc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2018, 14:27
by I Love Spuds
xx
Patio Fruit Trees

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 18:57
by rainbow1
xx
Anyone grown patio fruit trees?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:55
by tosca100

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.