Carrot root fly issue.

• 9 Replies

Emmie

Carrot root fly issue.
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:53 »
Hi, I have a dilema that I need advice with as I have planted some Early Nantes carrots into a blue barrel which is approx 18" high and placed it in my greenhouse.
Yesterday upon watering I noticed 3 flys which were black with what looked like white dots on its back just wandering between my carrot seedlings.
Would these be carrot root fly? They were half the size of a blue bottle so in my mind they would be too big (never seen a carrot root fly).
Another question is do I remove my seedlings and start again or do I just chance it?
Thanks.   

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Carrot root fly issue.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:57 »
I don't think I've ever seen one, but they look like this.

But I wouldn't remove your seedlings.  I didn't think the root fly attacked until there was something to attack.
carrotfly.jpg
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 22:38 by GrannieAnnie »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09 »
Definitively  not root fly and like GA, I've never seen one, so I suspect that in the main, if you can see it, it's not one!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Emmie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:15 »
Thanks, that has put my mind at rest.
I lost all my carrots last year even though they were protected and have spent alot of time and effort into making a raised wooden transport crate to get them above 24" and then the barrel however just never got around to getting it raised up that 6" to protect (bet you can guess what I will be doing today).
Thanks again.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39 »
Carrot flies have yellow legs. They do not emerge until the first flowers of cow parsley are showing.

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 22:26 »
Carrot flies have yellow legs. They do not emerge until the first flowers of cow parsley are showing.

and they can fly a lot higher than most people think they can. If you have a problem with them the only safe bet is enviromesh.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 22:36 »
yes enviromesh all the way. Or scaffolders/builders netting.

I have lost count of the number of times fellow plot holders, and myself beforehand, have planted them high up in barrels and lost the lot:  one gust of wind with the number of these dreadful flies that are about and it is highly likely one will makes it way up to the carrots and then it is bye bye carrots.

But enviromesh or scaffolders netting is perfect. And a very good investment.

Emmie

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:14 »
When i got to my plot yesterday I checked my barrel and yet another fly and on closer inspection it was smaller then I estimated and it looked very similar to grannieannies photo so I removed the carrot seedlings and the top two inchs of compost and started again raising the barrel so it is 34" to the top.
Second time lucky? Hopefully.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:20 »
I think you've panicked needlessly, it's still rather early for fly.

I still maintain that the only sure way is a physical barrier. You can put them as high as you like, but whilst carrot fly are not good fliers, they can glide on a bit of breeze.

Carrot Man

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41 »
The carrot fly will become attracted to the carrots once you disturb them and thin them out
Whether this gives off some sort of pheromone or smell I'm not sure

There used to be only two waves of carrots fly per year but due to the mild weather, we are now getting a third wave later in the year, approx October time

The best cure is to cover with enviromesh. If you have a raised bed it is easy to build a frame but if in the ground like my allotment, I have build some large cloches with water pipe and stapled enviromesh to it.

The other thing I am told is a good cure is "Garlic Wonder" available online and most well known garden sites. It is also a stimulant.

xx
Carrot root fly

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2015, 13:57
by compostqueen
xx
carrot root fly

Started by fastmonkey85 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 19:11
by mumofstig
xx
Carrot root fly

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 19:13
by Trillium
xx
carrot root fly again

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 07:07
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 28 queries.