help with diabetic menu required

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
help with diabetic menu required
« on: February 11, 2012, 13:14 »
the title says it all!

I have a friend visiting in a couple of weeks and she's recently been diagnosed so don't want to get everything wrong :unsure:
I'm hoping that roast pork with veg and roasties will be ok for lunch, but what about pudding?   and what about teatime? are sandwiches off limits?  :wacko:

when I asked she just said "don't make a fuss", but i'd rather provide things that won't be a problem
for her ;)

jmc1949

Re: help with diabetic menu required
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 13:24 »
When I was in nursing (been retired for 6 years) diabetics were adviced to have a low fat low sugar diet, but things may changed.

Fresh fruit is always good as a pudding.  Sandwiches are OK.

Jenny

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 13:38 »
Ho MoS, if you go onto the diabetic society website, they have loads of recipes and advice so that may help your dilema.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Recipes/

Hope this helps
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 14:18 »
She will have been encouraged to up her veg & fruit, to limit carbs & as others have said to reduce fat & sugar, which does knock most desserts on the head! At tea time she might appreciate salad & sandwich fillings put into bowls and bread separately so she can take what she needs rather  than offend IYSWIM? Is she insulin dependent or not - she might have to test her blood sugars before she eats and adjust accordingly if so - also are you planning any long walks because she will need to allow extra for this. If she's not insulin controlled then she can probably relax the "rules" a little on this occasion.
HTH
Diabetes UK also run a helpline if you want to ring them, they're very friendly, have used them a few times when at my wits end with mum, who is diabetic, on tablets but frequently forgets  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 14:41 »
She has tablets rather than injections if this gives any indication of what type she has  :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 15:10 »
Few people realize that most breads quickly turn into sugars when ingested. White flour is the worst. For diabetics, this is dangerous territory.

And though fruits are natural sugar, they're still sugar and can quickly spike the blood sugar level. Same with honey and certain 'sweet' veg.

I've noticed more of my diabetic friends also have other eating sensitivities so it would be worth a quick call or whatever to your friend to see if she's lactose intolerant or wheat intolerant as well. And you might as well ask what is her safe range of foods and go from there.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 20:42 »
Few people realize that most breads quickly turn into sugars when ingested. White flour is the worst. For diabetics, this is dangerous territory.

And though fruits are natural sugar, they're still sugar and can quickly spike the blood sugar level. Same with honey and certain 'sweet' veg.

This is the hardest thing to get across, when we're discussing low blood sugar on first aid courses, trillium  :D  people will say things like" I don't know why x is diabetic, they hate sweet things" and get very confused sometimes. All carbs will break down in the digestive system into a type of "Sugar", fructose, sucrose, lactose, glucose, maltose, dextrose,  galactose etc - if it ends in "ose" it's a type of sugar - a loophole that food manufacturers exploit ruthlessly with "sugar free" on labels, this just means it's free from SUCROSE, it may well have other sugars present. Foods labelled as "diabetic" are generally sweetened with artificial chemicals so they do not break down in the body and raise blood sugars. It's a bit of a soapbox of mine, as you may have guessed, especially as I'm trying to prevent myself becoming diabetic at the moment  :(

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 20:59 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 21:00 »
Thanks everyone  :)

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 21:03 »
Sorry mum, what did I get wrong?  :)

grinling

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 21:14 »
My sister has seeded bread and her hubby does fantastic cake using ground almonds. There is also an "ice cream" called freedom in Sainsburys.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 21:15 »
Sorry mum, what did I get wrong?  :)

all of it was highlighted as the quote - rather than just Trillium's bit   :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 22:10 »
the title says it all!

I have a friend visiting in a couple of weeks and she's recently been diagnosed so don't want to get everything wrong :unsure:
I'm hoping that roast pork with veg and roasties will be ok for lunch, but what about pudding?   and what about teatime? are sandwiches off limits?  :wacko:

when I asked she just said "don't make a fuss", but i'd rather provide things that won't be a problem
for her ;)

Why don't you ask her?

She'll say what she can or cannot eat, and there's then no problem. Tea (sandwiches) will probably be out, puds must have no sugar of course, so, perhaps ice cream?

Fully understand your quandary, but diabetics (Type 1) know their stuff, and will advise accordingly.

She will probably have a pen for insulin, so let her have the bathroom for that when she wants. She'll also want to give herself a blood test on a little machine, like a mobile phone. Just remember though, that timing for meals is critical. No hanging around chatting beyond the allocated time like - say 1.00pm!

Drinks are not really a problem, but they have to be dry wines, dry sherries, or beers like Pils. Diet tonics are great, and spirits are fine as well. No heavy bitter beers, or sweet fortified drinks like port.

If you're out walking, she'll have a biscuit or two hidden away, or maybe a Dextrosol, or similar.

Just don't worry too much, because during the day, a hypo is rare, unless your chum's control is not as it should be!

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 22:14 »
Sorry mum, what did I get wrong?  :)

all of it was highlighted as the quote - rather than just Trillium's bit   :nowink:

It always does that!!

But not this time - sigh ! Thanks mum

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 22:29 »
If you're replying to a quote, you need to scroll down in the reply box and start typing your reply after the "[ /quote]" a couple of lines after the quoted text ends. 

Otherwise your reply appears with the quoted text and can't be distinguished.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 23:03 »
If you're replying to a quote, you need to scroll down in the reply box and start typing your reply after the "[ /quote]" a couple of lines after the quoted text ends. 

Otherwise your reply appears with the quoted text and can't be distinguished.

What like this?   Yay  :D Thanks Yorkie!

xx
Diabetic jam

Started by Mrs Bee on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 12:01
by Agatha
xx
Diabetic Jam Recipes

Started by amandaandherveg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:05
by Poolfield2
xx
Tea recipes required

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 17:15
by matilda duck
xx
quick recipe required

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 10:06
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 29 queries.