Diabetic jam

• 17 Replies

Mrs Bee

Diabetic jam
« on: February 17, 2013, 19:38 »
Does anyone have any experience of making jam for diabetics.

Does anyone have a recipe for some please.

My BIL has asked if I could make him some as he misses eating all my ordinary preserves since he has developed diabetis.

Thanks. :)

allotmentann

Re: Diabetic jam
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:58 »
No experience at all I am afraid, but looking at some of the recipe web sites that I use (prefer those with reviews) these come up (My favourite websites didn't seem to have any!). I am not sure that all of them will be useful, I think the ones that use fruit juice will be no good as they will be  as high in sugar,  just in a different form:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sugar-free-strawberry-jam-87549
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Low-Sugar--No-Sugar-Strawberry-Jam/Detail.aspx

and this site has lots of recipes, but is not a site that I have used:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,diabetic_jam,FF.html

I have a feeling some experimenting will be required. One of the reasons that I like reviewed recipes is that the flaws are often highlighted and can be sorted before you begin! I hope that you manage to work out a good recipe. :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24 »
Thanks for that. I will have a delve and experiment.

I have a deal with my sister; she will take up my curtains in return for me making some really nice diabetic jam.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:02 »
The sugar in the fruit as well as subitute sugar could be a prob. Ask her what jam she normally use and then try to adapt that.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 21:01 »
I have just found a chapter in my very old Margueritte Pattern jam book that I could have a go at. Hadn't noticed it before. Must get my eyes tested!

I  wondered if any one on the forum had made any and could recommend a recipe.

Thanks for your replies.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 21:50 »
I'm a Type two diabetic and I make my own jam and preserves.  The rule is just to moderate the amount Mr Bee eats ( he will appreciate it even more).

My diatition (food lady)!  ? says not to bother with these "diabetic foods, they are a waste of time and money".

I don't know if you know, but three or four Bassets Jelly Babies are ideal for fending off an oncoming hypo.  No chemicals or colourants in there.

Cheers,   Tony.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 21:52 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:41 »
Hi Tony, jelly babies are good, as are jelly tots as they come in tiny packets easy to carry around for emergencies. It is always good to know as a lot of people think chocolate is the best thing to give someone having a hypo. It will work, but very slowly because of the fat it contains, which slows the absorbtion of the sugar, so shouldn't be the first option. And it can be very messy if the hypo is a bad one!
Working out the effects of sugar in food can be quite a nightmare as it is not always obvious, for example jacket potatoes are nearly as high as pure sugar on the glycemic index. I am pleased to hear that they have put you in touch with a dietitian. A man I met recently had been told he was diabetic and sent away completely clueless, no nutritional advice, no warning as to what could happen if it was not kept under control. :ohmy:
Mrs Bee, did your jam work out? :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59 »

I have to say, my jam is the talk of the county ! ! !It is palateable and I haven't recieved a summons . . .yet!  I normally make jelly but seeing all the left over fruit in the jelly bag I have been making jelly and then pushing the fruit through a sieve.  The result doesn't have the gloss of a jelly and is a little runny (which may be my fault)  but there is more quantity.

I made a mixed fruit jam from plums, pineapple and a small amount of bramble just to add a bit of colour.  Luverly.

My pineapple 'jam',  is too runny, but scruptious poured over ice cream.

Cheers,   Tony.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:20 »
Thanks for all the info. I talked it through with my brother in law and sister and told them the options after my research. And we decided it would be better not to do any as the diabetic jam he buys is fine. I don't think mine would be any better in this case.

I would be nervous about the keeping qualities too.

He has the type of diabetes that is controlled with pills.

I made him serveral boxes of diabetic icecream instead and he was very happy with that. ;) Made that with fruit sugar.

Thanks for that advice Tony. I thought that would be the better bet. Just have a little of the good stuff now and again.
TBH any diet puddings or diabetic foods just don't taste the same. Sorbitol and sweetners and the Stevia stuff all have a nasty after taste.   

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:36 »
Mrs Bee, I have a recipe for a diabetic fruit cake somewhere - if you would like it, let me know & I'll try to find it - it's just flour, dried fruit, nuts, spices and orange juice, but it is really yummy - I always make one for charity coffee mornings so the diabetic folk don't miss out, but I find it's equally popular with non-diabetics, which is always a good sign!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 16:28 »
Mrs Bee, I have a recipe for a diabetic fruit cake somewhere - if you would like it, let me know & I'll try to find it - it's just flour, dried fruit, nuts, spices and orange juice, but it is really yummy - I always make one for charity coffee mornings so the diabetic folk don't miss out, but I find it's equally popular with non-diabetics, which is always a good sign!

Yes please, Agatha, that would be most welcome. My poor brother in law does love sweet food, and misses cakes and the like.

It is always good to have tried and tested recipes. Thanks. :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 12:05 »

I'm afraid I've passed the tablet stage,  I take between 10 - 20 units of Insulin (Humalog)  after meals and 50 - 55 units of Insulin (Lantus) before bed.

Cheers,   Tony.

bricoop

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 14:32 »
To Mrs Bee.I was diagnosed diabetic Type 2. That was 20years ago.I was sent to a dietician at York General.What that lady told me changed my eating habits ever since.When she stood me on the scales I was 18 stones 8 pounds.I am 5 feet 10 inches.She told me I had to lose at least 5 stones.Iasked what would happen to me if I didnt.Her reply was to the point You will die OK.I asked if I would live longer she said No it will just seem longer!.THe diet she set me on I still stick to.Believe me Mrs Bee no matter which type of diabetes one has no recipes will do you any good.I have a no sugar no fat diet.I have lasted 20 years on it and I now weigh 12 stones 7 pounds.Diabetes is a killer.Respectfully Yours Brian Cooper.
B C

Agatha

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 13:31 »

Yes please, Agatha, that would be most welcome. My poor brother in law does love sweet food, and misses cakes and the like.

It is always good to have tried and tested recipes. Thanks. :)

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've had problems in logging on to this site.  Can't remember the recipe offhand but I will (try to remember to) bring the recipe in next time I come.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 13:02 »
Thanks Agatha, I look forward to receiving the recipe. :)

xx
Diabetic Jam Recipes

Started by amandaandherveg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:05
by Poolfield2
xx
help with diabetic menu required

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 10:34
by spottymint

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 37 queries.