help with diabetic menu required

• 22 Replies

Trillium

Re: help with diabetic menu required
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 23:04 »
Puds can be difficult as well as they'll either contain flour as thickener (definite no-no) or starches. Ice creams are so loaded with sugar it's not funny; sugar free ice creams taste like wallpaper paste  :tongue2: and have a terrible texture.

A good friend of mine has to test herself every night before bed and if her level has dropped beyond acceptable, she has to drink a bit of orange juice, wait a bit, then retest so she stays in the acceptable range. That's how fast and sweet fruits & fruit juices are to diabetics. My mum now has to do that as well.

As for diet drinks, the ones over here contain aspartame which has been found to 'hang on to' body fat, so dieters are advised to avoid the stuff. Flavoured natural spritzy water is a better bet for everyone, but always read the label first.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 00:20 »
If she's on tablets she probably has a little more flexibility than on insulin, however she will need to eat at reasonably "set" times, especially if she's just taken her medication.
Rather than offering a pudding, what about a starter? She'd probably feel less embarrassed than having to turn down a pudding while everyone else scoffs, or even worse, to eat it when she shouldn't, rather than say "no". The other alternative would be cheese & very thin biscuits, with celery & veg crudites, rather than grapes or apple, but if she has some weight to lose then cheese would be out also! Roast chicken would be preferable to pork, unless the pork is very lean. Sorry to sound so miserable, I dread going to my MILs, she can't cope with the fact that I am wheat intolerant and her other DIL is veggie & doesn't eat eggs, I usually sneak some food in my bag and nibble when she isn't looking, I always go home hungry cos she doesn't ask - at least you're thinking of her  ;)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 13:20 »
She has tablets rather than injections if this gives any indication of what type she has  :unsure:

Tablets don't specify type of diabetes, just the level.   I've got type 2   (late onset) I'm on Humalog - quick acting aftermeals and Lantus slow release at bedtime.   

Due to go and have my annual wrist slapping on Friday ! ! !   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 18:14 »

You know that we need pictures of this, Tony  ;)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 13:19 »

Lucky escape, my usual inquisitor is on holiday in Burma.   The stand in seems pleased with things in general.   ::)   I even asked a couple of questions.   :ohmy:    Cheers,     Tony.

Oliveview

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 19:33 »
The Diabetis UK magazine had a good recipe for a pudding:
 Cut in half pear or peach, cut out the stone/pips   place the fruit  face down in a pan, in one layer.  Cover with rosé wine, add a cinnamon stick and their recipe said add sugar but I add a  small teaspoon of honey. Bring to a simmer and cook until the fruit is just tender. Put in the fridge until nice and cold..... delicious

Pamela

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 21:49 »
She has tablets rather than injections if this gives any indication of what type she has  :unsure:

Tablets don't specify type of diabetes, just the level.   I've got type 2   (late onset) I'm on Humalog - quick acting aftermeals and Lantus slow release at bedtime.   

If you are on tablets you can't have type 1 diabetes as this is a lack of insulin which is only fixed by injectable insulin (or a pancreas transplant) However type 2 which was sometimes referred to as non-insulin dependant diabetes can often be treated with tablets but sometimes needs insulin.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

spottymint

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34 »
We have type 2 diabetic's in the family, cooking for them is not that hard.

Low fat diet, with low sugar & watch out for carbs.

I have a really good book (well I think so)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everyday-Diabetic-Cookbook-Stella-Bowling/dp/1898697256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334481898&sr=8-1

Has all types of recipes & explains how you can adapt recipes ect.

Creamed cakes (where you mix fat & sugar) you can reduce sugar by half & use low fat spread.

Diabetes uk site is good, as mentioned .  Lots of pudding recipes ect.

Diabetic's just have to balance their sugar/carbohydrate intake, not avoid it altogether.

xx
Diabetic jam

Started by Mrs Bee on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 12:01
by Agatha
xx
Diabetic Jam Recipes

Started by amandaandherveg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:05
by Poolfield2
xx
Tea recipes required

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 17:15
by matilda duck
xx
quick recipe required

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 10:06
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 31 queries.