Broody problem

• 4 Replies

themagicaltoad1

Broody problem
« on: October 01, 2009, 21:24 »
My 3 bantams started laying about 3-4 weeks ago, (finally), and just as we were getting used to 3 eggs a day, two of them have decided to go broody. The youngest and last to start laying wanders around the garden all day on her own while the other two spread themselves out in the nest boxes >:( I keep turfing them out and five minutes later they're back in there, they even managed to open the coop door after I shut it to keep them out! I was expecting them to go broody at some point but surely not so soon after they started laying? any suggestions?

littlewitch

Re: Broody problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 22:10 »
Hi there, MT, frustrating isn't it - just as you start to enjoy their produce..... sorry , but nothing for it but to stick 'em in solitary with basic rations.  It may seem harsh but i've learnt the hard way!!  ???   :ohmy:

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 23:44 »
Got to aggree with little witch put them in a coop with a slatted airy floor where they can't create a warm nest environment.  A few days in these conditions will break the broody behaviour (give them access to feed and water of course).

There's no telling when they will go broody.  Some breeds are more prone than others.  Sussex Light of Buff for example are great broodies.
Truth through science.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:34 »
I tried duncking their bottoms in a bucket of cold water but their knickers are so frilly I'm not sure how much got through, they seemed to enjoy it though :blink:

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 15:13 »
Yes tried and failed with that.  Isolation in a cool non conducive environment the only thing I've found that works.

Chx don't seem to mind being cooled down in hot weather by dunking or given a warm bath in cold weather if dried carefully with a blow dryer.  However I wouldn't recommend stressing them with dunking.
Regards

xx
Another broody hen problem sorry.

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 16:56
by nettynoodles1
xx
broody hen problem

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:07
by EggBound
xx
another broody problem

Started by jeannie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:38
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody Problem

Started by Derek.laurence on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 08:02
by jennie hennie

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.