Quiet breed of chicken?

• 13 Replies

death of rats

• Experienced Member
Quiet breed of chicken?
« on: September 29, 2009, 21:54 »
I have a flock of silkies both large fowl and bantams and we get the occasional cluck. Doodle Ook but generally very little noise. I want to add a trio of interesting birds to the group. They must be quiet birds not to make too much noise though.
We have the space having reared some ducks and now having the space and the silence since they have gone.
Is there a quiet breed of miniature duck which is not going to quakc extremely loudly when it sees us?
Two questions please
If we upped the chicken numbers.
1. What breeed would be interesting adn reasonably quiet and friendly
2. There is at least one silkie cockerel in my flock already, would a very different breed cockerel bother with the silkie hens, or would it stick to its own breed?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 22:16 by death of rats »
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Quiet breed of chicken?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:56 »
A cockerel will go for any hen if she will let him  :lol:. If you want to make sure your two breeds stay pure then you will need to keep them seperate. Also any breed has the potential to be noisy including silkies  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:28 »
Have to agree with Joy, any breed can be noisy. Joy had to take my silkies as they were making so much noise, yet my warrens except when having layed are quiet girls. My Poland girl is very quiet - hardly a peep from her so maybe a breed to consider (very pretty as well with their head bonnets). Talking of noisy Joy - how are the terrible twosome?  :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 17:40 »
I find pekins are quiet, even my cockbird crows quietly. The faverolles banties I have are extremely quiet, although the boys could wake the dead with their crowing! :D

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 18:52 »
our buff rock bantam is quiet, hardly makes a noise, very nice chuck.

martyn

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 20:12 »
weve 4 rir ds they make a bit of noise when they see us or are thinking there getting food :D were hoping to get some silkies soon but im worried now in case there noisy :unsure:  were going to get 3 or 4 but not to sure now! ???

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 23:05 »
from my experience, as soon as you have more than one cockerel, they compete to see who gets the last word, and crowing noise MORE than doubles. My only cockerel that doesn't make much noise is a pekin. He does crow but at low volume. My noisiest is the poland, who has quite a high pitched, piercing crow. I guess like little men, they shout the loudest, theres a lot to be said for the gentle giants!

Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 00:22 »
Quiet chickens, modern game which are the friendliest chickens I have ever come across even the cocks.  Bit unusual looking and you either hate their long legginess or love them.  I wasn't a fan but having raised some this year they are real sweeties.  Vorwerk hens are lovely, gently and slender birds who are pretty silent and great characters.
Cockerals are no respector of breeds and they will certainly want to compete and probably fight.
Regards
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 00:25 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:18 »
Nice to see the gentler side of Hillfooter coming out!!  Never thought I would read a post from Hillfooter that mentioned 'sweeties' !!!

:)

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:52 »
Nice to see the gentler side of Hillfooter coming out!!  Never thought I would read a post from Hillfooter that mentioned 'sweeties' !!!

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

raeburg

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 20:35 »
one of my silkies is a right gobby girl, the other is really quiet, the orpingtons are gentle on the ear too.

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 21:58 »
Yep Hawthorn Harry.  Bit of a slip up there must have forgotten to take my sweeties!

I vowed when I started to keep chickens I wouldn't give them names or start refering to them as chooks or girls.  However I have named the cocks, we have Sylvester (my icon), Rumple and Stanley currently and have had a, Sydney, Rastus, Barney, Squawker, and Hercules plus a few we didn't get round to naming, and the other day my daughter caught me refering to our Barnvelder hens as girls so I'm starting to get a little worried!. 

If I get the Beatrix Potter out please have me strapped into a straight jacket and committed.
Best regards

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 04:06 »
Isnt that a good example of how different people can be, and why this forum is such a good source of help and advice.....with so many people that have experiance, and different ways in which they raise the birds, we manage to get  good and varied advice from people who keep chickens in different ways, ut im sorry Hillfooter, my girlies will always be my girlies, they will have names, they will be talked to, sang to, hugged, loved and laughed at....and right before the men in white coats drag me away, i will make sure their water is topped up with ACV... ;) :D different strokes for different folks eh?
(sweeties indeed :ohmy:)

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 15:28 »
Yep dizzylizzie I've no problem with whatever anyone wants to do as long as they aren't causing any problems or suffering and as you say it's different strokes. 

I still care a lot for my girlies .....sorry chickens even though I don't call them "Mrs Hiddledy Piddledy".
Best wishes

xx
what breed hens are quiet?

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 13:20
by trinamc
xx
Very quiet chicken

Started by Pig Cat on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 14:56
by jo1thompson
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Chicken Breed

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2011, 07:25
by sneezer

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 29 queries.