Brown & Red Mites

• 27 Replies

Foxy

Re: Brown & Red Mites
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21 »
I think naturally that redmite will migrate from a wild bird, or maybe an overhanging branch. However, the problem lies in how quickly a small colony can transform in a matter of days into a major infestation, and unless you are relatively experienced or know what to check for, plus have the right products on hand, unfortunately it is probable you will develop a major infestation. :(
Our conditons here are ripe for redmite  in terms of our enviroment and yet I have never had an infestation. :)

nzdunn

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 09:54 »
thanks Hillfooter for that reply and very interesting about the Barrier powders.   For a newbie like me on deciding that i was gonna get some girlies i went out straight away and bought the barrier powders both for redmite and louse and have regiliously dusted the girls and their house since then but the thought of all that when in fact these barrier powders dont prehaps do wot they say on the label is frustrating.   I have infact stopped now using these powders and just use the poultry sheild and most of all Diatom, i dust the girls with this and the coup.   I was interested to read about turning the diatom into a slurry.   I take it you just add water and then paint into knooks and crannys, i will be doing this at the weekend me thinks.  nickyx

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 12:44 »
Hi nzdunn,

Basically the active ingredients in Barriers louse and red mite powders are the same they just have slightly different fragrances and Louse powder has a oil which is supposed to benefit horses coats since it is primarily aimed at equine use.  Barrier are very particular about saying use as directed on the package which means they only claim benefits when dusted / sprayed on chx.  They also in their marketing have claimed that commercial chicken farmers use their products but i can't see a farmer dusting a few thousand chickens before they roost.  I've 40 and it's not viable to dust more than a small number so it's hard to claim you followed their instructions so that's a great get out clause for them.

With Diatom I use a disinfectant base (Vanodine V18 iodine based diluted to the surface disinfectant rate) and I add Diatom whilst stirring, that way it doesn't cake up and go lumpy.  Then when it's a nice thick battery consistancy I paint it on with an old paint brush,  Do the perches really well on all surfaces and all the corners round the pophole.
Don't wash off next time you clean if you can help it just scrape off the droppings and respray with disinfectant.
 Regards
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 12:57 »
Kitkat,
RM infest birds nests.  Nests can be found in trees and hedgerows.  To this extent you could say RM live in trees but only where birds are nesting.  Standard advice to commercial poultry keepers is to discourage wild birds nesting adjacent to poultry houses, not just for RM but disease spread through droppings etc.

Regards

bockhamptoners

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 19:02 »
Thank you all for the advice. 
We were going to get rid of the chickens....you know what it's like, new baby and the parent factor makes you over protective and the thoughts of mites getting on the baby were toooooo much!!
But sanity has prevailed, i've realised (remembered) that I built the coop with a removable roof so I've had that off and throughly scoured everything with a solution of Poultry Shield almost 50/50 mix.... its been scrubbed, sprayed into every crack and that was after I'd hoovered every little blighter out. After rinsing it was left to dry and then re-poultry shileded which dried into every crack and surface. Then I have powdered the bedding with red Mite powder. Every chicken has been upended and doused in Frontline till wet (very very expensive excercise!!)......... the chooks seem much happuier today, the house, theirs, smells good and not a red thing in sight.
We have however decided they can't have the whole garden, there are only 4 of them, they are getting an extended run which will be 6 yards long by about 4/5 ft wide, I guess about 8sq yards so about 2 per chicken which i hope is ok? Does anyone have aview on this?
.....once we have grown a new lawn we plan to give them some freedom by letting them have the whole garden for a couple of hours a day in the late afternoon/evening.
I have made a note of Ficam W and Diatom and will see where I can get some..... also noticed the flea spray which I'll also have a look at.

One last question, no body has commented on the brown mites? they seem smaller and we wondered if they were baby red mites? It was the brown type we found on the children after they'd played outside (please don't say grass mites :):) as we don't have any grass courtesy of the chooks :):))

Thanks again to you all  :) :) :) :)
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

grumpydad

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 19:30 »
please find a copy of a post from practical poultry about using a smoke bomb to help get rid of red mites.
have not used it as i have not had any mite yet, but am aware that if i dont keep on top of the hygene and cleanliness, it will only be a matter of time.

quote......
I suffered terribly with red mite and managed to get rid with a 4 pronged attack.
Firstly you must clean every cage at once and dispose of the rubbish, into your bins or local tip asap because they will very quickly migrate back into your shed.

Secondly, once all the cages are cleaned i spray every cage, until dripping wet, with poultry shield, which is an amonia based liquid that you mix with water. This mix gets into all the nooks and crannies and upon contact with the red mite, dissolves them into a green mush.
Thirdly and a day later i spray the cages with a powder called dia-secticide and this is diatomaceous earth that is obtained from a freshwater diatomite deposit containing the fossil shells of diatoms. It works in a physical and not a chemical way. The powder damages the skin, joints and mouthparts of the insects and absorbs body fluids. The insect usually dies within 24-48 hours of contact with the powder.
Lastly i use a smoke bomb called Pronafit, which is a smoke bath and the smoke stays suspended in the air for ages. This not only kills moths, gnats, lice and red mite, but it also opens the birds bronchials and assists them in breathing better. It is excelent for birds with respiratory problems (It also has the added bonus of leaving a lovely lemon smell to your shed for days) It says to leave for one hour and then open all doors and windows to evacuate the remaining smoke, but i dont, i leave everything closed until it naturally disperses, which can take up to 6 hours. But half a bomb is used for sheds averaging anywhere up to 16ft x 10ft.

I now have no mites of any form and will use the smoke bomb, once, every month as a preventative and a shed freshener and i will use the poultry shield and dia-secticied once a year when i do a big cleanout and repaint the whole shed.

Poultry shield can be obtained from www.biolinklimited.co.uk

Dia-secticide can be obtained from pest direct 9 The Shrubbery, Brereton, Rugely, Staffs, WS15 1JJ Tel 07968 117258

Pronofit can be obtained from http://www.bjffeeds.co.uk/catalog/65/pronafit

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 22:30 »
Well done Bockhamptoners as the season changes and the temperature drops the mite problem will recede so you should be able to drop back to a lower level of maintenance control.
If you do want to use Diatom (a brand name for Diatomaceous Earth) you can get it on the web from several sources but see www.chicken-house.co.uk/ where you find lots of other useful stuff too for poultry keepers.
Next Sprinng I'd consider the insecticide option as one treatment followed by a good maintenance programme will probably be all you need.

I looked at the Flea spray which costs £11 for 400ml and I wasn't convinced it would have a long term residual effect as it only kills fleas on contact and has a residual effect on the eggs which suggests to me you'd have to be confident to zap them all in one go.  Also there's no knowing if this spray is bird safe.  The problem with RM is not killing them most things do that it's finding them as they hide in joints and cracks as you have found  This is why to get them all you need a residual solution which works even after it has dried.

The best of luck with the new baby and your chicken keeping.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 04:29 by hillfooter »

bockhamptoners

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 00:15 »
Red one's seem to have been eradicated for now :)
BUT still have the pesky brown and white things left!
They are not in the coop but are around the area.
They seem much smaller than the red mites, in fact the white ones are only just visable.
I've taken som photos.....
a wee beasty
a bunch of white ones on a wall, this is the gap between 2 bricks to give some scale
dozens crawling across wife sweatshirt arm (argh)
some on an egg just to give scale, all the specks are beasties.

Has any one any ideas what they are and how can I get shot of them?
bug1.jpg

bockhamptoners

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 00:16 »
sorry couldn't attach them...
bug5.jpg

bockhamptoners

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 00:16 »
the last 2 pics...
bug6.jpg
bug7.jpg

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 01:57 »
I'd say bug 1 is an insect so not actually a mite at all.  Can't say what though.  The tiny white ones could be Straw Itch Mite but its difficult to say,  Do you have a lot of straw or hay about?
The first frosts should zap them.

nzdunn

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 10:13 »
have you put down bark prehaps the white ones are coming from there.    nickyx

bockhamptoners

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 14:57 »
Thanks...... as my wife just pointed out the insect thing is not whats been bugging the children....back out with the camera

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Mites

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 08:01
by ehs284
xx
Mites?

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 12:03
by Lastcast
xx
mites!

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 17:41
by Tartuffe

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 28 queries.