hen with bad leg

• 3 Replies

kyritchie

hen with bad leg
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:39 »
Yesturday I noticed one of my Moulting hens was standing on one leg and could only walk with the aid of her wing on the right side. On checking her I could not see anything immediately wrong, no swelling of the claw and no problem with her eyes etc. I have had her in the house overnight and see is not standing at all now and he leg does feel quite warm. She is managing to eat but not very much. I also noticed the other hens picking on her recently. Would appreciate some advice.
Karen

Casey76

Re: hen with bad leg
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:58 »
Hi, and welcome to the mad hen house.  Sorry your first post is because of a problem :(

Does your hen usually perch on a night, or does she have to jump down from the coop to the ground?  It sounds like she may have pulled a muscle.  It usually doesn't bother them for long, though she may have a limp for a while.

One of my hens stupidly decided to jump from my terrace to the ground (about 7 feet) and landed awkwardly (she isn't a light bird and doesn't fly).  I checked her over and there was nothing broken or dislocated, but she limped for a few weeks and recovered slowly over time.

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 13:22 »
one of my girls has just had a sore leg, i noticed her limping slightly but more so when she would run about she would like skip, and when standing would lift the leg more than normal, i rang the vet and he said leave it a couple of days, i had thoroughly checked the legs for swellings and heat, scratches cut, underside of the foot, claws and could see absoutley nothing so left her and sure enough she was fine in a few days.   nickyx

Beano

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 13:30 »
Hi Kyritchie,
The same thing happened to one of our chickens in early August.
If you search for "Poppy is poorly" you will come across the post and see that EVENTUALLY there was a happy ending. You will also see all the good advice I had!!
We took her to a vet who gave her an anti-inflamatory injection and some anti-biotics.
It took over two weeks for her to even stand up and quite a few weeks after that to walk without a limp.
Your chicken has probably sprained a muscle but I would take her to a sympathetic vet if I were you just to make sure.
Keep her safe from the others but within sight. We kept ours in a cat carrier with the top off during the day within sight of the others and at night she was brought in to the house.
Give her plenty of treats and I would lay off the pellets because you dont want her laying while she is poorly.
Hope she gets better and keep us posted.
El.

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 29 queries.