shutting hens in for the night

• 12 Replies

SJB

shutting hens in for the night
« on: April 15, 2009, 18:39 »
I am new to this site and to chicken keeping and looking for help and advice, can any one tell me how to get my free range hens in for the night, I was led to believe they would go in to their house at dusk and some evenings they do, other nights they refuse to go in and just keeping running around the garden as everynight is different I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting them in?

Sassy

Re: shutting hens in for the night
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 18:53 »
To repeat some advice recently given on here, it seems a torch in their hut will draw them in. With my own, I've only had two lots, I find they go in when the light is going. So I wait until then as it is a lot less hassle than chasing them around. But I suppose they are all different.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Sparr0wman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 19:03 »
Welcome.
Mine go in around 8:15 just as it starts to go dark. Hopefully i have no shananagans tonight as i'm looking to settle for the footy.
I'm new to this too, always reading this forum and picking up lots of tips.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 21:28 »
Sometimes the weather can have an effect on how late they stay up too.  If you have a fine day and a long fine or warm bright evening they will stay up for bit longer.  If the weather is foul, raining etc then they will be ready to go to bed earlier than they normally would.  But from experiece, I can say they do not like being directed to bed when they are still quite awake and not ready to do so.  You will be chasing them for ages and loose.  If you have to chase them in these circumstances, wait half hour and they may all be in by the time you come back.  If it is dark they can usually be picked up for where they are huddled up and put in coop.  For getting them in well before dark, resort to blackmail by chucking in the coop a bit of corn or treat.  Routine is the key for training them if you always are trying them to go to bed before they want.  Hope these ramblings are of some help.
mrs.ploppy

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 11:00 »
yes, routine is definintely the key!

we can pick some of ours up and put them in the run, and they go into the house themselves, then we wait till it's dark and shut the pophole.

sometimes, either jessica or erica will run away instead of being picked up, so we put the others in the run and shut the door. then we shut and lock the garage door (they know that means we're going inside) then wait.
after about 5 minutes, the wayward chicken slowly (and nonchalently  :lol: ) makes her way to the run door.
then we approach and she tries to run away from us, but always in the direction of the run, so we open the door from behind and she scarpers in!!!
it's so funny!  :lol:

Wheelchair Gardener

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26 »
We have had our 3 light sussex for 1 week and the first 2 nights, we picked them up and put them in, but over the next few days we have "encouraged" them into the coop by themselves.
This usually involves one or both of my kids following them, to shepherd them in the right direction, some nights it takes a few minutes, other nights, they go in straight away!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:29 »
Sometimes they think there could be a predator lurking in their house.  If you put a torch in their coop the light will entice them in.   

SJB

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 20:42 »
Thanks for all the advice, its pretty much what we had been trying, the last two evenings we managed to get 3 out of 4 in but the black one hid and we dont know where!! we did look funny searching for her with a torch at about midnight, both mornings she was wandering around waiting for her mates to be let out, tonight for the first time they have all gone in with just a little coaxing with feed, but now we can hear them squabbling so are just hoping they will all be ok in the morning. :unsure:

Rozlynmac

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 12:42 »
Do hens have to be shut in at night? Is it just to protect them from predators or is there more to it - like forcing them to have a good nights sleep (reminds me of trying to get my 13yr old to go to bed!!)

I ask as, living on an island which is fox free/badger free & other night-time predator free I'm wondering if I need to put them in or can let them decide for themselves? Are cats a problem? That would be my only real threat - the neighbourhood cats on the prowl.

treacleminer

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 12:54 »
They usually are looking for somewhere warm and safe when it gets dark, and so bedtime gets later in the summer - possibly never in the Hebrides!?
If no predators, closing the pophole really just cuts down on drafts, but they are pretty tough really.
I suppose a feral cat may take a sleeping chicken, but its unlikely IMO.

Rozlynmac

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 14:02 »
Thanks treacleminer, you're right about night time in the Hebrides, a friend who keeps chikens says her put themselves to bed around 2am in the summer. She's got Otters at war with her cats and hanging around during daylight trying to pinch eggs, but they don't seem interested in the chickens themselves.

Winter is another matter entirely, I've seen a few people discussing using a torch to get the hens in and I'm actually thinking about one of those battery powered stick on lamps for the wall of the coop in the winter, otherwise the poor wee things will only get about 8 hours daylight at best. Maybe I can teach them to hibernate  :happy: ::)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 15:31 »
Try one of those all in one units for lighting sheds?
http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/solar-technology/solar-mate-05/?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 17:15 »
Before our pullets were allowed to free range, I trained them to come when I shook a small red pudding basin of corn.  (They have a large outer run as well as a secure inner run and house.)
Now, I only have to walk out with the basin and they go back in with a handful of corn to distract them, while I close the outer door.  They can then put themselves to bed in their own good time and I close up the secure run after that.  I don't shut the pop hole now that the nights are warmer and they are thriving on having their independence.
cathangirl

xx
Shutting Hens Away

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 22:32
by bluemaran
xx
Putting hens to bed at night?

Started by CatherineF on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 20:54
by jesschocolate28
xx
Why shut your hens in at night?

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 09, 2016, 10:22
by Willow_Warren
xx
how to get hissex hens into coupe at night

Started by vina on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 21:37
by Vember

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.