Shutting Hens Away

• 20 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Shutting Hens Away
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:07 »
Hi everyone - this may seem like a bit of a stupid question...

I let our chooks out as early as possible but as much as I'd love to say I'm up with the sun, I'm not... so, by the time I let them out they've spent a lot of the morning getting excited in their house.

Just wondering as the warmer weather begins whether (on nice evenings at least) I could just leave the hen house door open so they can let themselves out when they want to?  The house opens up onto a run which I like to think is secure from predators.

My only concerns are that a fox would have a lot of time to dig under the run and get into the house if it wanted to, and also that they may still get a bit chilly come 2am.

What time do you let your hens out in the morning?

Thanks!

Darren

treacleminer

Re: Shutting Hens Away
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:51 »
Automatic pophole openers!

There are a number of threads giving links, like this one http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=23188.0

and at one point there was a 'making your own thread' but I can't find it!

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:11 »
Ours are out anytime between about 5.30 and 7.

Depends on who gets up and when. But some people leave theirs until about 8 or so. We just like to give them as much time as poss out of the house.

Unless you as certain as you can be that a fox can't get in, I would never leave the pophole open. If they can dig, they will. If they can climb over, they will.

I'd get used to early mornings and either go back to bed or make the most of some quiet time  :D

Or buy an auto opener as treacleminer suggests.

Rob 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18 »
On the days I'm not working, they don't come out until 8ish.  they are fine.

the only thing I dont' like about auto pophole openers is if a chicken gets left out because she's trying to make the most of the nice evening air!!!  And the price of course!!! lol

Hawkins

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 13:05 »
Mine go out at about 8, we like to let the ducks Lay fitst and worry about Mr Fox even though they are in electric fencing.

They go to bed about 8 as well.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 13:36 »
mine get up early and are very vocal if not let out, so I have to hurry up and get them let out before the neighbours are disturbed, and I've not got a cockerel, just noisy hens  ::) They are clamouring to get out at first light.  I feed and water them, let them out and go back to bed with a cuppa  :)  I couldn't leave them locked in when they are desparate to be let out. I think if you have them you've got to be prepared to get up in the morning but it is hard work some mornings  :)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 14:19 »
Thanks for the replies - did consider an auto-opener but they're not cheap, and likewise I worry that one will be stuck out lol!

I don't mind getting up early(ish) but it's just that now it's getting very light very early, and I can't be up at 5am every day as it'll just kill me - but 7-8am is more the normal time which if I'm not the only one, I don't feel cruel...

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 14:25 »
Crikey!! I just followed the link to the thread about auto openers, then the link to the site that sells them. I think they cost more than what I paid to convert my shed to a coop!!

raeburg

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 14:48 »
Another thing that can creep into the house under cover of darkness - rats. 

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 14:58 »
The automatic openers are shockingly expensive but worth EVERY penny. I wouldn't part with mine now - its my bestest friend ever. I've not had a lock out yet, but I do have mine set to close around 15mins after dusk. I still check on the girls as I have to close the run door anyway.

I have no idea when it lets them out in the morning as Im still slumbering in a nice warm comfortable bed, they're always out in the run when I get out there.  I did have a few issues with the security lights at first though.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 17:25 »
John Seymour of Self Sufficiency fame kept his chickens inside until late morning so they laid in the house.  His were completely free range, so it was easier for him to do that.  And of course, now the days are getting longer, they will be out for longer!!! lol

Perhaps ours are not as noisy as some hens!!

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 22:24 »
Is it poss to shut the hens in at night in person, and just use the auto pop up to let them out in the morning? TC
T C TOP CAT

Sparr0wman

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:15 »
i let mine out about 7 ish. With my 3 year old son ??? he's as crazy as the chooks. they go to bed around 8.30.
I'd like an auto opener but i like to have a look at them each day anyway, meakes them feel more like pets. And they like to listen to all my gripes about the day.  ;)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 12:51 »
i wonder about the autmoatic openers if they can be set to open but not to close - that would solve the chicken-being-a-dirty-stop-out problem.....

I personally get up as soon as i wake up (i have to leave the curtains open so that I get woken by the sun!) to let them out, then I go back to bed until it's time to get up.  :D

Caralou

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 13:10 »
I leave my bedroom window open a little - they soon get me up at 5.30 - let them out then into bed again. If I don't hear them though - which is unusual! - they get let out anytime between 8 & 10 and seem fine with that.

xx
shutting hens in for the night

Started by SJB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 17:15
by cathangirl
xx
Opening and shutting Hen Coop

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 10:39
by compostqueen
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 37 queries.