what are they called ??/

• 4 Replies

krystal

what are they called ??/
« on: May 25, 2011, 20:34 »
Hi all, what are the fake eggs called for broody hens to sit on as mines really broody, and do they work please?  :ohmy:
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: what are they called ??/
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 20:36 »
if she is broody why do you want dummy eggs? They are usually to encourage laying or to show where to lay. Unless of course you want to encourage her to stay broody until you get some fertile eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

krystal

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 21:18 »
hi no i dont want her we just had more baby chicks with another one, but some one said if i get the dummy eggs she will get bored when she relizes they wont hatch? what can i do to stop her then please as shes getting really nasty with it and staying in there most the day

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 21:36 »
get a cage such as the ones that you get for dogs, and in this put just layers food and water, no treats. You can leave them in this for several days and nights (if they have cover to stop rain etc or you can put them back into the coop overnight and replace them back into the cage during the day - most will get out of the broody state within a few days  :)

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35 »
The only time I use 'crock' eggs is when I've first put a broodie hen in her quiet secluded broodie coop to see if she really will take to sitting. That way I'm not wasting real eggs under her. Once I'm sure she is sitting tight I then swap the crock eggs for real ones that she then incubates. Putting crock eggs under a broodie for any real length of time will simply mean she sits and sits. Being broodie is not really good for hens as they reduce their food intake (as they are sitting all day) and some even starve themselves to death unless encouraged off the nest. They are also quite literally sitting targets for blood sucking red mites that bring on anaemia and eventual death. To get your bird to stop being broodie do as suggested with the dog cage. It really does work but you must harden your heart to the sad face!

Orchardlady

xx
Mr Fox called again today.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 20:14
by NormandyMary
smiley
Little muscovy duck called Maud.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 19:13
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.