Little muscovy duck called Maud.

• 14 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Little muscovy duck called Maud.
« on: October 13, 2013, 21:05 »
I have never been a fan of muscovy ducks, just can't get over the nobbly faces but they do have some advantages over mallard decent domestic ducks notably they are great broodies and mothers.

One of my neighbours has a muscovy duck that always comes and raises a brood of ducklings in her barn (not her duck!). They tend to keep the drakes for meat and sadly the fox tends to take the rest. Now much as I love my ducks and ducklings, hand raising them, having the cage in the house and the accompanying smell no matter how often you clean out is wearing thin and the idea of a broody is very appealing so had been thinking of getting a muscovy or two. My neighbour gave me one of her girls as she was pleased that it meant it would have a safe home.

Well I kind of wished I had got a couple as it was sad watching her pottering around by herself as it takes a while to settle into the flock. Despite that she put herself to bed with the rest and I was hopeful they would accept her quickly.

Then she vanished. :(

I assumed she had been taken by a fox as she tends to be away from the rest of the flock. Had to ring my neighbour to check she hadn't return home which was a bit embarrassing and sadly she hadn't. Then about 5 days later my OH saw her in our pond! There is a reason we don't let the ducks onto that pond - it is right by the drive and road, very deep at the back and has very steep edges plus 2 little islands making it almost impossible to see how we would ever get them back off. Despite the pond being at it's lowest since we have been here attempts to get her out proved fruitless (and wet and very smelly - the OH did a really good job of not laughing when I fell in and literally came up spitting duckweed!).

We had come to accept that she is going to live on the pond and hopefully not get eaten by nesting on the islands until tonight when she let herself back into the run (don't know how, she has been wing clipped and none of the others get out) and put herself to bed with the rest!

I have the feeling this duck is trouble!

Despite that I also can't get over the feeling she is called Maud. Watch this space, I suspect this is not the end of the story.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 21:16 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

snowdrops

Re: Little muscovy duck called Maud.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 21:11 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: I think you might be right about the trouble bit. I love the name, but you have forgotten the golden rule.Pictures :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 21:18 »
I know, I know!

Will sort some out soon. She is such a sweet, unassuming looking duck that masks a wily, cunning and mischievous nature!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 21:19 »
She'll be in the house before long watching tv :lol: :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 21:26 »
Wouldn't be the fist of my ducks to end up there!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 22:37 »
 :lol:  She is just like the hen my neighbour found wandering down our road.  We are looking after her and I asked the neighbour to name her, Maude was her choice.  I however think she should be called Houdini or Steve McQueen as she is the best escapologist I have known.  She has 2 badly clipped wings but that does not hinder her.  So it looks as if you will have your hands full Kate if she is anything like Maude.

P.S.  I am soooooooo jealous, you know how much I would love muscovies so make sure you post plenty of photos Kate.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 16:51 »
And this afternoon she is back on the pond! I suspect she will come and go as she pleases. Chucking it down here so pics with have to wait.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 17:05 »
She sounds like a real character.  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 18:12 »
I await the next instalment of the Life of Maud, Kate

She is one determined young lady, isn't she?   :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 18:14 »
The problem comes when she starts giving lessons to your other well behaved ladies!  :lol:  Perhaps she needs a pal to stay home with?  :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 19:44 »
That is a real concern! I'm going to try and find her a friend or two and then maybe she will stay home (or more likely take them to the pond!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 18:29 »
Hadn't seen her for about 3 days and then this morning she was in with the rest when I let them out so must have put herself to bed with them last night. More surprisingly she was still with them when I came home this evening and was in with the thick of it when they got a treat of mixed corn. Even ate from my hand which some of the established flock don't!

I promise pics this weekend (if she hasn't vanished again)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 18:44 »
They are meant to be a friendly breed Kate, I am glad you have had the chance to get to know one despite your initial dislike of the look of them.   ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 19:11 »
I have to say despite the wilfulness I really like her and the girls are no where near as carbuncally! She has such a funny nature. She is very small and I suspect is a bit of a runt but she is definitely overcoming my previous dislike of muscovies.

Then again I never wanted a black duck and I love Patrick to bits!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 19:13 »
Sounds like she has made friends with the other girls and they have drawn her in, rather than her leading them astray  :D

xx
MUSCOVY DUCKS

Started by rach312 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:02
by rach312
xx
what are they called ??/

Started by krystal on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 10:35
by orchardlady
xx
Mr Fox called again today.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 20:14
by NormandyMary
xx
help with a duck

Started by chris999666 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 17:16
by chris999666

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.