Compost - A question

• 7 Replies

PrincessVegGrower

Compost - A question
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:41 »
Hello all, I hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather we have been having :)

Our allotment now has a compost bin, we have been putting the stuff you should put on there, and so far so good.

But my partner has questioned a certain 'Don't' to composting. He doesn't understand why you can't put cooked fruit and veg on a compost bin.
    He understands no meat or fish, but he doesn't understand no cooked vegetables.

His argument is 'If you can put teabags and coffee grounds on the compost, which are both cooked, why not porridge (made with water?)? Or rice? etc

Anyone know a reason why you can't? He would like a reason other than, you just can't, or it will smell, as he said it is going to smell anyway.

Grr xx

Goosegirl

Re: Compost - A question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 16:47 »
I think it won't break down as would uncooked stuff as the protein in them would be coagulated by the heat when cooking them. Porridge and rice would be too gloopy and may also encourage rats.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 19:17 »
I agree with Goosegirl; any cooked grain could attract rats or mice, although personally I can't see what's wrong with adding cooked green veg or cooked fruit to the heap (can't help wondering why you would have significant amounts of either going spare though!)

A heap free from animal protein or vegetable material attractive to rodents should be both odour- and pest-free (I have two daleks next to a patio where friends come round to eat and no-one's gone home early yet!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:55 »
. . . . . . .  .  He doesn't understand why you can't put cooked fruit and veg on a compost bin.
    . . .

I sympathise with him.
You CAN put cooked fruit and veg in your compost bin.
You can also put in breakfast cereal, grains and pulses.

All that I refrain from putting in is meat and fish remains.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

PrincessVegGrower

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 23:05 »
Thankyou all for putting it to rest :)

xx

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 23:32 »
I don't put cooked food in mine as I've had a rat in there without them so gawd knows what would happen if I started putting cooked food in there

I think there are better devices for cooked food such as the Joanna or green cone.
Or the dog or the hens  :)

sazmonster

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 00:51 »
Me too - I always knock on the bin and shout "anyone in?" before I dare open the thing! :D

zarazara

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 18:24 »
I put evertything on my compost heap apart from meat. old cardboard boxes,paper,grass,peelings,cooked food. But ,it is a large heap.

xx
compost question

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 12:36
by new_2_veg
xx
... another compost question

Started by RosieMay on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 18:04
by fatcat1955
xx
Compost Making Question

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 16:37
by sunshineband
xx
A compost question - Diotomaceous Earth?

Started by peggyprice on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 21:59
by peggyprice

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 30 queries.