Beech hedge when to plant

• 4 Replies

ganner

• Dorset
Beech hedge when to plant
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:56 »
Hi All,
       I want to plant a beech hedge what time of year is best & where is the best place to buy?
We have just moved & the garden3/4 acre is the best thing I’ve ever owned it’s lovely apart from in some places there is leylandii horrible nasty thing got to come out what’s best time to take it out & plant the beech or similar ?

gillie

Re: Beech hedge when to plant
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 12:23 »
Do it over the winter.  Hornbeam is an alternative to beech.  It looks similar, but knits together better into a narrower hedge.  (Or at least ours does!).

Gillie

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 17:49 »
Whizz the Lleylandii asap and take the time to get to know and prepare your soil. I'd buy bare-rooted bundles and plant in autumn when their sap is dying down but the soil is warm enough for the roots to grow into it before winter comes. Dig a good deep and wide trench and liberally spread manure or compost (if you have it) or bonemeal in the bottom - fork it in and water the trench really well before planting. Plant them up to their previous planting depth and heel in well with your wellies. Keep them well watered if it gets dry for about a year. Don't prune until their growth is just above the height you want, then prune the tops and sides. This will make it bush out in succeeding years. I have beech but Gillie is right about hornbeam though I think it loses its leaves more in winter. 3/4 acre - good for you !!! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ganner

• Dorset
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:44 »
Thanks very much will the hornbeam keep leafs on through winter? & what advantages does it have over the beech, this hedge will be to the side of the beech but the hornbeam looks the same to me but what do I know!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 17:59 »
I have a feeling that hornbeam loses more leaf in winter but someone on here will say if not. I think it is better suited to more clay-type soils though ours is doing fine. Google it and see what the info says.

clip
Beech Hedge.

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2019, 21:13
by jezza
xx
beech hedge

Started by mr tibbs on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 21:37
by peterjf
xx
beech hedge

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 11:37
by Kristen
xx
Beech hedge problem

Started by soaplady on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:50
by soaplady

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 27 queries.