Yogurt makers

• 4 Replies

sclarke624

Yogurt makers
« on: October 06, 2008, 16:00 »
HI guys
I am pondering between an easi yo yogurt maker and an electric yogurt maker.  Anyone got any opinions on this.  I am coming down on the side of the easi yo at the moment.

Reading around you don't have to use the sachets easi yo sell you can use a bit of your old yogurt or a bit or bio yogurt swiss valley I think and people have mentioned lidls bio yogurt (sorry vague detail bookmarked on other puter.

Also I used to get the OH tesco yogurt that I had read was ok for type 2 diabetics but can't remember why it was good or just ok it may of been lack of sugar or that greek yogurt very fattening.  Also and I know my minds going can't remember which yogurt it was think it was called natural yogurt and only came in big tubs.  Of course I am not going to buy it from that most cussed shop but if I can remember it will help me know what yog culture to get if I need a bit of yog or which sachet i.e. bio natural.

that last paragraph is very muddled if you don't get my gist ignore the last bit.

Thanks
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

wellingtons

I have the EasiYo ...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 16:33 »
... yoghurt maker and you really don't have to use their sachets to make good thick greek yoghurt.

In the book that comes with it, it does tell you how to do your own.  And it works perfectly well.  It works pretty much in the way that any other yoghurt maker would, heating the milk and the culture to create lots of little happy bacteria.  It's a pretty foolproof system really, nice and neat and easy to use.

From memory you need to use a tablespoon of live yoghurt, any live yoghurt will do and a litre of long life milk (which will save you boiling it first) and two tablespoons of milk powder (if you want a thick greek style yoghurt) ... put boiling water in the outer container up to the line.  Put all the earlier ingredients into the inner pot, stick the one in the other, lid on and wait for at least 6 hours.   Chill and eat ...!!

compostqueen

Yogurt makers
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 18:28 »
I've got the Easiyo and use it a lot

To make Greek yog you can just strain the yogurt that you make.  I got the strainers when I got the Easiyo. It takes about four hours

If you leave it dripping in the fridge overnight it goes dead thick and the result you can describe as "yogurt cheese" and you can use it for dips with all sorts of flavourings. It's low cal too  :D

sclarke624

Yogurt makers
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 18:57 »
All sounds good.

Compostqueen I'm surprised the greek yogurt is low cal and gald to hear it, I thought it was higher in cals than natural yog.

Wellies good info thanks.

compostqueen

Yogurt makers
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 23:34 »
not if you make it yourself using your own skimmed milk yog. It's only put through a sieve (fine strainer or a muslin cloth)  :D

xx
yogurt

Started by Brambles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:05
by Trillium
xx
yogurt

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 22:54
by gypsy
xx
Yogurt Smoothy

Started by WG. on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 19:23
by WG.
xx
making your own yogurt ?

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post October 13, 2012, 21:22
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 28 queries.