Garlic Rust

• 5 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Garlic Rust
« on: April 29, 2014, 22:15 »
When looking closely at my garlic today as I was weeding around it I noticed they were infected with rust  :mad:

I cut all the infected leaves off which tended to be all the outer ones but now I'm not that convinced I will get a crop worth keeping? Annoyingly they also share a bed with the elephant garlic which are growing good & strong, so I'm going to have to keep a very close eye they don't get infected!!

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
Re: Garlic Rust
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 23:52 »
Have exactly the same problem on my Autumn sown garlic. I just keep snipping off infected leaves, seems to keep it controlled at least, thankfully no sign of it on the elephant garlic growing in the same bed  :) My leeks last year all got rust so badly I couldn't use them, whereas on neighbouring plots the leeks are huge and healthy. Doing something wrong!! Wish I knew what lol.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:59 »
At the first sign of rust wipe some Vaseline on the infected leaves, it stops it spreading.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:03 »
Have a read of THIS about growing garlic - I have to confess the gin is a new one on me and probably better in a drinking glass with tonic. To prevent spread of spores, removing and burning the infected leaves might be better than treating (and be extra careful not to touch the unaffected leaves)  The point about overcrowding is worth noting - the closer the plants are together in a bed, the higher the risk the disease will spread.

I can't find the link about using potash / wood ash as a rust preventer on alliums, but I usually do 2 treatments - one in late winter/early spring, and another about mid-late May for garlic, and for leeks and onions it would be a bit later depending on the weather - high humidity (continuous rainfall) and rising temperatures are the main reason why plants are more easily prone to rust.   

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 20:27 »
At the first sign of rust wipe some Vaseline on the infected leaves, it stops it spreading.

Hey this is a really good tip...Thank you  ;)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 20:36 »
Have a read of THIS about growing garlic - I have to confess the gin is a new one on me and probably better in a drinking glass with tonic. To prevent spread of spores, removing and burning the infected leaves might be better than treating (and be extra careful not to touch the unaffected leaves)  The point about overcrowding is worth noting - the closer the plants are together in a bed, the higher the risk the disease will spread.

I can't find the link about using potash / wood ash as a rust preventer on alliums, but I usually do 2 treatments - one in late winter/early spring, and another about mid-late May for garlic, and for leeks and onions it would be a bit later depending on the weather - high humidity (continuous rainfall) and rising temperatures are the main reason why plants are more easily prone to rust.

Hey the link you provided is good reading, however I think it may be down to high humidity as we had three or four days of rain followed by higher temperatures for  a few days that is when I found the rust!!!

xx
Rust on garlic!

Started by carinapod on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 13:34
by barbarella
question
Rust in garlic

Started by Sunbonnetsue on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2018, 15:17
by Mum2mj
xx
Rust on Garlic

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:59
by RichardA
xx
Rust on me garlic?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 18:58
by DavidT

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.