grazing rye ,bindweed and covers?

• 8 Replies

redhat

« on: October 08, 2007, 11:13 »
Ok so heres the deal: I've just dug up my first years crop of potatoes planted on previous scrubby old 150sq m. grassland area of the allotment. Due to various reasons the haulms were cut then left so weeds couch grass and bindweed had recovered the potatoes - real pain to dig out. Given ther'll be loads of roots left AND the soil was like stone 6" down (lots of stones in a sandy soil!) am I best off with grazin rye over winter (which I've already bought along with phacelia) or should i cover with plastic and/or cardboard. I have manure i could throw on as well. Will  grazin rye help break up the pan or am i looking at too hard a dig espec as the couch grass and bindweed will be rampant? Plan to leave a gap before plant other crop if use rye.
Thanks
PS Glyphosate is out.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27 »
ferget the rye and get digging it matey .clear the weeds as you along with the rocks and stones chucked into a pile ( you will find a use for them later .a path maybe .....) dig it double trench method ( see glossary of terms  ). dig down one spit then another .throw the top spit soil on the last spit previos this would be the bottom spit in the trench add manure and any other compost leaf mould etc .to the top level of the trench as you dig and also the lower level .this will turn dodo sandy soil into a great garden soil after the 2 nd year . i would concentrate on growing only potato's and brassica's peas beans  squashe etc  forget the roots like carrots in the ground this year .( grow them in tubs and containers ) in spring rotavate it hard for a couple of days breaking all the soil up nicly i promise this wil look and feel like a great place to grow and plant what veggies you like . without the roundup  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:36 »
Welcome to the forums redhat.  Might I suggest you are a bit less specific with your location?  Makes a nice change from folks who don't say at all though!  :D

You can also pop organic in there somewhere if that is the reason for no RoundUp.

For general advice, please see Help Topics & where to get started.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:46 »
methinks .. 128  Cholmeley road is a reference to a tv program wg  :lol: .. i thinks it harry enfield  :wink:

redhat

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 11:53 »
tThanks muntjac and whisky_golf. Yeah muntjac i tend to think too that i'll have to double dig cos the bindweed is so rife. its just a shame i bought 3kilo of grazin rye in a fit of 'organisation'!  Also now the taties are out the earth is all soft so it seems a shame to have to stamp all over it again. would it be an idea to cover it for the winter to make the bindweed straggly and easier to pull/dig and then to double dig in spring or is now the best time?

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 11:56 »
no moaning  boyyyyyyy get on with it ... put the rye in a plastic container to keep it dry in  a dark place then use it next year as a green manure  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:11 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
methinks .. 128  Cholmeley road is a reference to a tv program wg  :lol: .. i thinks it harry enfield  :wink:
Aah. 'Nuff to confuse poor old me anyhow (and no bl**dy use when it comes to giving advice on planting times!).

Thanks redhat, I know where Reading is.

redhat

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 13:02 »
ay ay cap'n i'll take that as double d now. should be finished by Christmas  :D

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 13:09 »
you will be suprised how quick it goes matey .do a yard a day and dont push urself  :wink:  seacrh " trench " and " double digging" and " trench digging " for other posts  :wink:

xx
Grazing Rye

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 21:48
by Bombers
xx
Hungarian grazing rye

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2022, 23:56
by Digsowrepeat
xx
is it too late to sow hungarian grazing rye?

Started by rowe1311 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 12:43
by rowe1311
xx
Overgrown Hungarian Grazing Rye

Started by Hobnails on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 17:54
by Hobnails

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 33 queries.