Help Required

• 6 Replies

Gareth73

Help Required
« on: September 09, 2011, 14:18 »
Hi,

This is my first post on this site and after several months of hard work on my recently acquired allotment I have decided to seek some expert help with regards the weeding situation I have.

I have quite a large plot which was quite overgrown and needed clearing, the soil was good as had been previously well looked after, the allotments is pretty well established, just left unattended for quite some time.

I cleared all the weeds and grass by digging them out being careful to remove the entire weed; I also sieved the soil to remove any smaller surface weeds.

Since then I have rotervated the plot twice and continued to weed when necessary.

I  split the plot in quarters and planted up 2 quarters in rows of seed leaving the other areas until later in the year.

The problem I have is every time I leave the plot a few days it’s covered again with weeds. I have been away for a week on holiday and it’s absolutely covered making it difficult to see any growth on what I have planted. I seem to spend my entire time weeding and little else.

My question is can I use a weed killer to sort this out now that I have planted seeds? If not can I treat the areas I haven’t planted up or will this still impact on the planted areas?

Many Thanks

Springlands

Re: Help Required
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 14:35 »
Hi Gareth - and welcome to the site. If possible please add details of where you live to your profile as it can help give answers to questions.

You sound as if you are doing really well so far but weeds are the bane of most veggie gardeners. First of all it would not be possible or advisable to use weedkiller on the area where you are currently trying to grow crops - you would kill off what you are trying to grow and also endanger your own health. Is it possible for you to hoe between the rows to try to deal with the weeds in that way. Otherwise you will just have to hand weed.

Regarding the areas where you are not currently growing anything - again if possible try to avoid using weedkiller. Dig out or hoe the weeds and then cover the ground with cardboard or weed suppressant fabric (not carpets which can cause various problems) and that should stop the weeds coming back until you are ready to plant next season.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 14:54 »
welcome to the normal wprld of allotments, is all I can say :dry:

It's a continual battle with weeds, I'm afraid :( Even if you glyphosate the weeds the annual ones will still germinate in a few days time, cos the seeds live for years in the soil. That's why most people use a hoe, as moving the surface kills of germinating and small seedlings before they get too big.

You could lay down weed control fabric next year and plant through that

starry

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 15:32 »
I thought when I took over my allotment about 3 years ago that I would be forever weeding but actually after a while you do get it under control and it seems that the weeds do give up a bit!!
 I have just started the last area on my plot still untouched I have made up some raised beds and planted some pumpkins and winter cabbage but this area of my plot still grows more weeds than the rest I guess the weeds have just got used to being there, but don't let them deter you its all the fun of growing your own and some of those weeds are very useful if not  pretty  ::)   
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 16:38 »
 The problem with covering the ground is that when you take the covers off the weeds will grow again. If you keep hoeing all the dorment seeds will germinate then you will only be dealing with ones blown in by the wind or dropped by birds. Just make sure you don't let the weeds flower and the form new seeds. You can put weed killer on those areas your not using but weeds will come back as your turn the soil. After the first year you will see a marked reduction in the number of weeds but you will always get some. 

JD

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 16:50 »
As already said as long as the weeds are kept down as much as possible, gradually things will get better. Hate to say it but the old adage - One years seeds, seven years weeds - sum's things up a bit.
Don't let any weeds seed but there isn't much you can do about weed seeds coming in from fields and other gardens. Mulches can help supress them, Bob Flowerdew's no work garden book suggests grass clippings etc.

Gareth73

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:08 »
Thanks for all your good advice, it would appear the only way to deal with this is allot of hard work!

Thanks again

Gareth

xx
Help Required

Started by Spanky855 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 02, 2006, 10:56
by Spanky855
xx
Identification Required

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 09:47
by SalB
xx
info required

Started by ganno on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 19:54
by Aidy
xx
watermelon help required

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 13:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 34 queries.