Melons

• 18 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Melons
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10 »
We only got one melon this year - sweetheart type - and it was about 2.5 ins across...... then the plant dies and that was that.

Disappointing  :tongue2:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05 »
For the first time I had successful germination and had 4 different varieties growing well.  Some in the greenhouse, some outdoors.  There were loads of flowers but sadly, not a single fruit  :(  As my cucumbers that normally do well have done badly this year too, I'm not going to be put off.  I WILL grow melons next year!

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14 »
Hi Matt,

I too am going to try growing melons for the first time this year.  I've got two varieties to try - Honeydew and a funny sort I found on the real seeds website called "Minnesota Midget" (how can you not buy that?!).  From what I've read - melons like heat, so it would appear the greenhouse is the best option.  I'm not sure about how much they spread, etc, but I think some varieties can be trained to climb upwards?? perhaps one of the more experienced members on here can advise..

Good luck  ;)

I've grown that this year. How have yours done? I gave some seedlings to a friend to grow in a green house - they have two melons getting to the size of la tennis ball . I've grown out side on the patio and I have one the size of a golf ball.  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03 »
For the first time I had successful germination and had 4 different varieties growing well.  Some in the greenhouse, some outdoors.  There were loads of flowers but sadly, not a single fruit  :(  As my cucumbers that normally do well have done badly this year too, I'm not going to be put off.  I WILL grow melons next year!

I grew 2 Sweetheart melon plants in my greenhouse; the one in a large planter on the staging produced 6 melons of varying sizes (smallest was cricket ball sized!), the one in a large growbag on the floor only one (5" across, 17" circumference, but I notice the skin is splitting now.  :ohmy:)

Apart from the less than ideal weather, pollination seems to be the main problem; there were lots of male flowers but only tiny amounts of pollen in each, so even hand-pollinating didn't always work.
At one point it looked as if I might have got 20 fruit on one plant but the plant itself seemed to know better and I think about 3 would have been a more realistic number to aim for to get them all to a good size before the plant died.

They are absolutely delicious though; really juicy, sweet, orange flesh with a wonderful flavour!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Melons

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 08:10
by WG.
xx
MELONS

Started by alfieplot162 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 19:50
by alfieplot162
smiley
Melons

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 19:25
by Beetroot queen
xx
Melons on my hot bed

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 21:15
by shaun

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 29 queries.