Cabbages - why in a seed tray??

• 5 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Cabbages - why in a seed tray??
« on: April 12, 2014, 22:10 »
Hi
I was already to plant my cabbage seeds in their allotted square tomorrow (im doing SFG), but have now read, that all brassicas are to be sown in a seed bed first then planted out - - - - - why??

Thanks
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

JohnB47

Re: Cabbages - why in a seed tray??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 22:49 »
Your title says 'tray'' but your text says 'bed'.

Anyway, surely it's just a suggestion. You sow seeds in a nice well tilled bed or in compost in a tray first, then transplant the best ones to their final destination. Same result if you sow them in a pot. Or you could sow in their final destination and thin them out, leaving the good ones in situ.

It's your choice.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 23:10 »
Transplanting means they can start their growing closer together in a small bed, while something else is growing in a the place they will be planted, eventually. Eg it's common to grow spring cabbage in beds or flat trays for planting after potatoes are harvested.

The transplanting tends to make stronger roots, and so stronger plants.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 00:14 »
Also you can sow them away from slugs and snails and transplant when they are a bit bigger. Anything I direct sow has a tendency to get decimated by slugs and snails.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:05 »
Also if you have club root,growing on to a good size,say in 5" pots gives them a good chance when planted out. Years ago people wouldn't have 'wasted' compost on them.  I some times think seed packets don't always update their instructions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:05 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 14:17 »
I'm with the put them out after a cash crop into a well prepared space school of thought.

The reason that I put my cabbage seeds into a tray is that I know where they are so they don't get weeded out.  ;) It also saves the slugs, snails, sparrows and assorted wild life getting to grips and eating seedlings as slugs and snails are no respecters of netting.

Likewise I prick out the best ones into little pots of compost and plant out when they have good roots and a good top on them. That way I can see where I'm going with things. It also gives me two weeks notice to put lime on the brassica bed and well as fertiliser of choice and extra compost if required.

Seems to be the way we all do things up here. Could also be pigeon proofing (well we do have both wild and racing pigeons on our site and though the racing pigeons aren't supposed to feed away, there will always be one ...)

xx
Seed tray cells, disposable?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 01:42
by TheSpartacat
xx
Cabbages all gone to seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 22:24
by Salmo
xx
growing cabbages from seed,what am I doing wrong?

Started by darren64 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 23:46
by flitwickone
xx
seedlings, too much in one tray

Started by jay1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 07:24
by jay1

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 30 queries.