seedlings, too much in one tray

• 9 Replies

jay1

seedlings, too much in one tray
« on: May 01, 2014, 20:47 »
having just received our new allotment plot 3 weeks ago (first one ever I might add) we have rushed out and brought loads of packets of seeds.
and planted them in there droves in seed trays, now the problem is it will take all year to get the jungle sorted but in the mean time we are digging square sections out ready for the seedlings to go in so at least we have SOME VEG this year.
the other problem (yes life is full of them  :( ) is that the seedlings have sprouted better than I could have anticipated and the trays are looking like a sea of green, mainly the lettuce and rocket.
it seems obvious that the lettuce and rocket will have to be planted in small clumps rather than each seedling being spaced apart  but can we keep thinning them as time goes on, even the onions and Brussels and just about everything else we are growing are growing double quick....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 20:48 by jay1 »

Beetroot Queen

Re: seedlings, too much in one tray
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 20:54 »
I just divide my lettuce when taking them out of the cells, never had one object yet.

We planted as we went makes you feel better when you can see something growing

jay1

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 21:00 »
so if i was to transplant from trays to soil could i then thin them out further as i dont want them too bunched up?

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 21:07 »
Thats what I do. They look rough for a few days but soon pull back, we picked our first today of 2014

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 21:08 »
You could thin as you go with the rocket & lettuce or just use some as baby leaves. The onions if you plant out in small clumps 3/4/5 they will push each other out of the way & you get kitchen onions, or you could use some as spring onion like. The Brussels really need to be pricked out to individual pot when big enough & planted out as per the packet, eat the rest as micro greens. Welcome to the site, consider starting a diary & take lots of photos. :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jay1

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 21:23 »
thank you all :)
snowdrops is there a link on this site were i could start a site diary?

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 21:38 »
Go up to the top of the page,click on home then scroll down to gardeners diaries & start a new topic,you can also add a comments thread so people can talk to you via there one of the mods can link it for you.

Robster

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25 »
Probably a good idea to get the hang of successional sowing for your salady things.  Some things you only need to sow a few like your brussels, and a packet of seeds can last several years if you look after it.  Lettuce is relatively easy to sort out by teasing apart when wet.  Or as the others say eat them now as salad leaves.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:45 »
from what i can gather i would say you could do with getting some modules and dib out the seedlings 1 per module. this will give healthier plants and also buy you a bit of time if your still clearing. you can also re pot to a larger one if needed.

jay1

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 07:24 »
thank you all of the above, i think as the year goes on i can buy the modules and trays ect and start like that next year, at least i might have a green house and poly tunnel by then?

xx
Can I grow kale seedlings in a tray?

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 10:22
by jacnal
xx
Sowing tray

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 22:16
by clarebear
xx
Shower tray planter??

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 18:07
by arugula
xx
Leeks in cat litter tray

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 15:02
by DD.

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 35 queries.