Fiberglass coop any thoughts?

• 7 Replies

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
Fiberglass coop any thoughts?
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:17 »
Hi, Been thinking about this. Has anyone built one or know of any instructions out there?
I was thinking you could use a super large cardboard box as the frame. You could add nest boxes, perches, windows' vents, doors etc. then cover inside and out. That would be pretty much crevice free and very strong and weather proof. Do you think this is do-able or just daft?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Fiberglass coop any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:57 »
The only fibreglass I have seen is sort of a matting which you then put the liquid on and it sometimes leaves an uneven surface.  If the product has changed and it is smooth then it could work.  The only issue would be if it would make the hens too hot or cold if it is single layered with no cavity for insulation.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08 »
Not sure if it would be thick enough to keep them warm in the depths of winter.
Also I assume that you are using a cardboard box as a mould and not leaving it in there - it would soon get soggy - redmite would have a lovely home inside the ridges.
I know lorry cab frames are now often made of glass fibre but they also have inner skins and are not just single skinned.
You would also have to leave it to cure for a while as the adhesive used does smell quite strong and I wouldn't want my hens breathing it in.
If any threads of the glass fibre were sticking out the hens would try eating it so you would have to make sure that it was a smooth finish.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 14:30 »
Well I was thinking I could leave the box inside and encase the whole thing so it is totally sealed and smooth. OH uses the stuff to make things stronger and the finish can be quite smoothish. (I would include ventilation vents or windows) I thought it would be strong, lightweight, easy to clean, rot proof and mite free. Also reasonably low cost for a decent size coop.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 17:34 »
So it will be double skinned which is good. The box will be full enclosed and the glass fibre should stick well to it until the box rots which will leave a warm air pocket  :).
Make sure your OH or you use plenty of resin so no strands are sticking out  :).
They don't need windows but ventilation holes to go above the chickens heads could be put in using a hole cutter  :)

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 18:17 »
Definately do-able. Instead of the cardboard box you could use some of the foil coated foam insulation board used in the building trade.

The foam board is often glassed in under the deck of fibreglass boats to stiffen the floor so will be ok to use with resin.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 23:02 »
I am making mine at the moment, and I am using a  foam, you will need to make sure that no coated strands are showing as they will be very sharp.  if it is to light it could blow away.
And I wouldn't fiberglass the floor.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 23:14 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:14 »
Thank you for all your advice. Can't wait to get started! Hope it works! Just need a sunny day now - ho hum - British weather  :tongue2:

xx
R-COM 20 PRO my thoughts

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

46 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 09:11
by naturesparadise
xx
Second Thoughts

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 03:42
by dizzylizzie
xx
your thoughts please

Started by nickiit2003 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 21:03
by hillfooter
xx
A new arrival...I'd appreciate thoughts please...

Started by alaj on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 11:06
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 30 queries.