Feeding Onions

• 4 Replies

JohnB47

Feeding Onions
« on: June 01, 2011, 20:39 »
I'm finally getting some results from my Comfrey tea making factory and I'm wondering when I can try using it on my onions.

Some of them are over wintering ones that have started to go golden in colour and are fattening up. The rest are spring planted and are still very green but show a swelling at the base of the stems.

Is it OK to feed both of them now, or is it a bit late for the winter ones and a bit early for the springs?

P.S I've been using chicken pellets on them up to now.

Ta.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Feeding Onions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 20:47 »
I've always been of the mind to feed my onions.

I don't know where I got it from (I think it could have been when I let them get weedy and they don't like weeds at all) but I feed weekly and I always do well with them.

Ahh, just seen you use chicken pellets.These are slow release, so as long as you put them in regularly and fork them in slightly then they should be fine with those
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 20:48 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 21:02 »
Thanks.

I really want to try comfrey too this year. I think I'll plough on with that. The reason for asking is that I don't have very much of it at present so I don't want to waste it on onions (like the over winter ones) that are maybe past being able to use it.

Cheers.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 00:07 »
Thanks.

I really want to try comfrey too this year. I think I'll plough on with that. The reason for asking is that I don't have very much of it at present so I don't want to waste it on onions (like the over winter ones) that are maybe past being able to use it.

Cheers.

I think you've answered your own question there John - a good answer too in my opinion  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Benandbill

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:54 »
I've been using water infused with sheep manure to feed my winter onions in the last few weeks and prior to that, a bit of grow organic and regular watering.  Doesn't seem to have done them any harm as they're big and white now.

xx
Feeding onions?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2019, 19:46
by ConfusedGardener
question
Feeding onions...advice please

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 12:10
by gavinjconway
xx
Feeding spring onions

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2016, 13:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Feeding Spring Onions

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 15:00
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 29 queries.