Dodgy seed

• 12 Replies

alfman

• Experienced Member
Dodgy seed
« on: October 25, 2008, 20:13 »
Anybody had any problems with new packets of seed not germinating properly? Reason I ask is because a week ago there was an article in my national newspaper that told me that Witch had done a survey into a lot of the major seed companies and found seed from some companies was very poor in germinating.I've had some problems myself with new packets. Has anybody else?

garddwr

Dodgy seed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 20:18 »
not really. Which seed supplier did you use ?

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Dodgy seed
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 20:18 »
If I get a 75% hit rate I'm happy, parsnips being the exception as they are notorious for poor germination.

Which particular seed are you having a problem with?

garddwr

Dodgy seed
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 20:19 »
Why are parsnips such a bad germinator ? Do they come in large ammounts in the packets to make up for this ?

alfman

• Experienced Member
dodgy seed
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 20:26 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
not really. Which seed supplier did you use ?

Can't remember now garddwr it was a couple of years ago.
The worst one was the dreaded parsnips but I waited until conditions were right and not one came through. I've had similar with carrots.

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Dodgy seed
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 20:27 »
Parsnip seed packets tend to be between 350 and 500 per pack, then you have to thin the healthy ones to about 9 inches apart.

If you end up with 10% of what you've sown, you are a lucky bunny.

alfman

• Experienced Member
dodgy seed
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 20:31 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
Why are parsnips such a bad germinator ? Do they come in large ammounts in the packets to make up for this ?

Parsnips do have a long germination period. People (and books) all tell you to get them in early but you've got to be careful the soil has warmed up enough. A big problem in the north east where I am.

alfman

• Experienced Member
parsnips
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 20:38 »
Quote from: "Jodie A"
Parsnip seed packets tend to be between 350 and 500 per pack, then you have to thin the healthy ones to about 9 inches apart.

If you end up with 10% of what you've sown, you are a lucky bunny.

I think you've to sow far more than usual to try and get more through Jodie.
p.s. Have you tried sowing them on a windy day? :evil:

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
Dodgy seed
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 20:44 »
I sowed about 700 in February this year.  the ones that germinated seemed to do so in clumps.  It broke my heart to thin them out.

I'm lucky if I've got 25 to eat, and then it's always a mystery to know how big and what shape they are before you dig them up :lol:

garddwr

Dodgy seed
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 20:46 »
you could start them in little toilet roll things or root trainers indoors then plant out so no thining is required

Farmer Fred

Dodgy seed
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 21:19 »
odd this, because the only thing i seem to be able to grow at the minute with any success is parsnips. everything else drowned this year. I tend to grow my parships in a few of half plastic barrels and they do really well, i have that many im giving them away. everything else on the other hand, i'm buying from the shops. I'm almost tempted to have a go at growing rice this year. I also dont think i have ever used a packet of seeds that i thought were dud. i would say my carrot seeds, but the fact that after 3 years i havent managed a single carrot, i think its probably me more than the seeds!!
trying to be organic

garddwr

Dodgy seed
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 21:46 »
I think thats true farmer fred you have to try and see what works for you and what youre good at. parsnips may just be your strength

Trillium

Dodgy seed
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 22:23 »
Plants put out a lot of seed, but not all are viable. This is a self protection mode. The plants of some varieties cannot possibly produce enough pollen to fertilize all the seeds they produce, so many are actual duds even though they appear 'normal'. Not sure why the plant wants to make so many seeds to begin with, but that's what they do. Parsnips are in this group. I prefer to direct seed mine with fresh packs every year as their germination rate is already poor that I won't waste time with older packets. I double seed the holes and if 2 happen to germinate in one spot, I pull out the weaker, or if at all possible, carefully transfer the second to a non-starter spot. Take lots of soil and hold it all intact - parsnips detest root disturbance.

xx
Onions looking a bit dodgy - is this ok?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 21:17
by Yorkie
xx
Dodgy apples

Started by pennsylvania planters on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 19:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Dodgy Compost

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 17:28
by SarahB
xx
Dodgy Compost

Started by boybeck on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 07:50
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 35 queries.