New Chick

• 1 Replies

stujem

New Chick
« on: June 05, 2013, 20:54 »
Hi all, I have just noticed that 1 of the 2 eggs my hen was sitting on has hatched, soo cute! The only problem is that all the other chickens have access to her nest, will the other hens attact the new chick?
Stu

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: New Chick
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 00:05 »
Hi Stu, you would be better moving Mum and chick to somewhere safe as there is always a possibility that they could kill the chick.  New Mums usually do a good job protecting their chicks but it really takes it out of them sitting on their eggs for 3 weeks.  Best not to put her under the stress of any confrontations.  If you can keep them within sight and sound of the flock but out of harms way that would be better.   :)

They will need access to clean water but in a chick drinker or dish with pebbles so they can't drown and of course chick crumb.  If feeding chick crumb with (ACV) medication added you must make sure your laying hens do not eat it.  If they do you will not be able to eat their eggs.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
Dud chick?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 00:01
by mdueal
xx
Chick Pix!

Started by Mossley on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 21:29
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 30 queries.