Borlotti and French Climbing Beans on Same Wigwam?

• 18 Replies

dmhain

Borlotti and French Climbing Beans on Same Wigwam?
« on: April 13, 2012, 19:42 »
Hi,

I have limited space and have been pondering on the possibility of growing borlotti beand and French climing beans together.  Do you think they would be ok to grow on the same wigwam or would they somehow cross polinate. 

Just to add another dimension could I also grow runner beans together with borlotti and french beans???

Any experiences of trying this would be appreciated.

Cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Borlotti and French Climbing Beans on Same Wigwam?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 19:46 »
you can grow them all together but the can cross pollinate.
That makes no difference if you are growing them to eat - but you wouldn't be able to save seed from them ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 19:48 »
The theory is that the two french bean styles would not cross pollinate and there is an outside chance of runners crossing with them.

Where the runners and french beans are concerned, it would not affect the pod itself that formed, only the beans within which you would eat very immature

Borlotties are often grow for dried beans, so these may (and only a tiny chance) may not be true borlottis in  avery small number of pods.

This is only important if you ae going to keep seeds to grow next year

(OK, so MoS said that in fewer words  :lol: )

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 19:49 »
Go for it.   I would suggest you tie the wigwam in the middle to 3/4 of the way up.   The reason is the plants grow taller than the canes and tend to bunch up at the top of the wigwam making bean picking difficult.  

By tieing in the middle the cane tops spread out and so do the bean plants making picking just that little easier.    ::)    Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 20:06 »
That makes no difference if you are growing them to eat - but you wouldn't be able to save seed from them ;)

i thought it was only broad and runner beans that cross polinated?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 21:08 »

i thought it was only broad and runner beans that cross polinated?

These do not cross as far as I know, Matt

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 23:08 »
I'm growing french and runner beans for eating and also a greek 'big bean' (a white butter bean type).  I have these for drying so to be on the safe side will be growing them the opposite side ofthe plot or even in the garden.

I'm not taking the chance of cross pollination especially as they are saved seed.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:54 »
I'm growing french and runner beans for eating and also a greek 'big bean' (a white butter bean type).  I have these for drying so to be on the safe side will be growing them the opposite side ofthe plot or even in the garden.

I'm not taking the chance of cross pollination especially as they are saved seed.

Whats the name oof your big greek white bean type and where did you get it please?
I've been after these for ages

Emma

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:52 »
I don't think you can get actual Gigantes seed in the UK, they seem to be a protected variety that you can only buy in Greece   I came back from living there a few years ago and tried to find them with no success   :(

But taste wise, once cooked, the large white butter beans taste the same (to me anyway  )

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/269

Your other option would be to buy dried Gigantes from a supermarket and grow those, I don't know if they would work in our climate though.

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 12:26 »
I successfully grew the runner bean "The Czar" for its dried white beans last year.  They are like a very large haricot bean, just a bit smaller than a butter bean.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:29 »
I tried growing the Gigantes from bought in beans from the deli. I got two bags from the Greek deli and handed one bag to a lotty neighbour and we both had a stab at growing them. Not a thing came up!  

Back to borlottis though. I'd grow them on wigwams with the purple podded Cosse Violette runner beans. They look fab and taste wonderful and I've not had any problems at all

I grow sunflowers in there (Velvet Queen or something similar), sometimes a little pumpkin such as Sweet Mama and some pretty frilly lettuces around the base. Quart in a pint pot but it looks a sight for sore eyes  :)  Plenty of muck required in there at planting time

mattwragg94

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 12:46 »
well i will using garden organics seed saving guidelines this year - heres the link if anyones interested (it ahs a pollination section for each type of veg!):

seed saving guidelines

edit to shorten long link
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:54 by mumofstig »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 18:49 »
I don't think you can get actual Gigantes seed in the UK, they seem to be a protected variety that you can only buy in Greece   I came back from living there a few years ago and tried to find them with no success   :(

But taste wise, once cooked, the large white butter beans taste the same (to me anyway  )

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/269

Your other option would be to buy dried Gigantes from a supermarket and grow those, I don't know if they would work in our climate though.

Thank you very much!! :D

sarajane

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 21:04 »

Whats the name oof your big greek white bean type and where did you get it please?
I've been after these for ages

Emma

I bought about a kilo of these inCrete 3 years, loose from a veg shop. ago after enjoying them so much in the restaurant.  I don't know what they are called but the assistant assured me they were the ones used for the receipe.

I've grown them the last 2 years.  They will be sown next week and grow like runner beans butmaybe not so prolific.  Possibly due to the fact I don't harvest them until just before the first frosts but from about 8 plants got about 2 kilos of the beans. I'm planning sowing more this year.

xx
Wigwam question for sweetpeas and climbing beans

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 14:16
by Walewein
xx
Runner/French/Borlotti beans

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 11:04
by granjan
xx
Climbing french beans

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 13:30
by boldondig
xx
French climbing beans

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 21:00
by bonfire

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 33 queries.