• 12 Replies

zandelia

chickens and veg
« on: August 25, 2013, 14:48 »
hi how much veg shud laying hens be allowed each week

ghost61

Re: chickens and veg
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 17:50 »
Mine eat as much as they want of what is provided. Normally give them fresh greens daily, and sometimes courgette or sweetcorn as a further treat. Mine are a bit fussy as they don't like all greens, eg parsnip and turnip tops will be left in preference to beet or chard leaves.

zandelia

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 18:08 »
many thx

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 18:31 »
If you can, try them on different veg, printed in different ways. Mine won't touch a whole courgette they like it sliced up so they can see the seeds. Also, they wouldn't eat sweetcorn off the ground, they want it hanging up! As a say, fussy, and spoilt!  :D

Prod

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 18:53 »
Mine love apples and tinned sweetcorn & today a neighbour gave me some marrows he had grown so I cut some up for them and they went mad for it. They wont touch greens though.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 19:23 »
If the hens are laying well they really must eat lots of layer pellets every day.
If they fill up on veg all the time it can result in thin shells and if the egg breaks internally it can mean a dead hen.
Nearly lost an old girl like it last month ! :(

We have bred super  hens which lay like machines so a green diet will not satisfy all their needs.

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:10 »
If the hens are laying well they really must eat lots of layer pellets every day.
If they fill up on veg all the time it can result in thin shells and if the egg breaks internally it can mean a dead hen.

We have bred super  hens which lay like machines so a green diet will not satisfy all their needs.

I couldn't agree more - mine get only their pellets in the daytime - treats are for the afternoons! :lol:

snow white

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52 »
Mine get there greens late afternoon. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:31 »
mine free range all day so get their grit from the ground (I do provide oyster shell for them, although they also get snail shells after the birds have eaten the snails) and lots of grass and fallen apples, however they do all eat lots of pellets first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Mid afternoon when I go to collect their eggs they get their treat of a small amount of mixed corn.
Staffies are softer than you think.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:39 »

What have you bred them from out of interest? they sound good.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 12:07 »

What have you bred them from out of interest? they sound good.

:)  I was using "we" in the broadest sense ..............now where did i leave that Kryptonite ! :)

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 13:34 »
Haha  :) i thought you meant youd bred them.
My own hens get mainly pellets but i try to give them some greens and  grains every day,i can buy "free range" eggs direct from the farm for £2 a tray i might as well do that if all their getting is pellets.
Theres a big difference in yolk colour and taste between them for sure.

joolz68

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 23:34 »
I have cabbage hung constantly for mine,i have lots on the allotment  so they are welcome to it..11 chickens pek through 6 a week at least :ohmy: glad im not buying them!i also feed them chard leaves but thats slow growing now and lettuces are finished with.
Also two feeders 1 corn and the other layers pellets plus mealworm treats when sid my cockrels demands it...im a chicken mug :lol:

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
AT LAST chickens are here!

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 13:51
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 29 queries.