Cucumber about to die on me?

• 4 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Cucumber about to die on me?
« on: May 03, 2011, 16:23 »
Oh no! I moved my cucumber into the greenhouse last week, planted in a growbag, it was doing fine then today when i looked it was wilting badly.  Thought the compost might be too cold or wet so I,v repotted it into a smaller pot and put it in a mini plastic greenhouse within the main greenhouse but after a few hours it looks worse :( What to do?  Is it doomed?  The middle looks OK but the big outer leaves are really droopy Help!!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber about to die on me?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 16:30 »
It was cold last night! and there is a saying that 'every day a cucumber plant wakes up looking for a new excuse to die!'

So I don't hold out much hope for it  :( sow some more would be the best bet I feel :(

unchained

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 16:31 »
I have had this problem with my young plants on hot days in the greenhouse, after removing them to some cooler shade they have recovered quite quickly.
Good luck

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 16:38 »
As has often been said, cucumber are more likely to commit arry karry than live I am afraid. Its best to lose one now as you have plenty of time to re-sow new ones.
It maybe many things, so move on. One tip is not to let the stalk get wet, pot them into a bottom less pot which is then planted into your grow bag, water the growbag as normal but not the pot, this will protect it, as I do, use some plastic pop bottles with holes in the lid and bury them and put the water into that so it goes straight to the roots.
Here is photo of my setup on another thread..
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=75326.0
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 16:57 »
My 2 are in intensive care after being left overnight in the greenhouse (even though the overnight temperatures were higher than they are now.)

Seed leaves curled up at the edges but luckily they had their first true leaves which are looking a bit healthier now that they've been living in my kitchen for a week!

They are F1 Passandra and at £3.50 for 6 seeds the miserable blighters are going to live!! (even if it kills me!)  :lol:

Sue: Yours might recover if given the best possible care (warm temperature and as consistent as possible) but I have to say it sounds a bit too far gone to me.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
cucumber

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 13:21
by Agatha
xx
cucumber

Started by doug hutch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 22:54
by Paul Plots
xx
My cucumber ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 17:58
by gobs
clip
Cucumber????

Started by mickmick on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 19:00
by mickmick

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 34 queries.