Ex Batt help

• 10 Replies

coxyMFC

Ex Batt help
« on: September 20, 2009, 18:52 »
About 6 - 8 weeks ago we adopted some ex batts, some that were in worse states than others. All of them have come along brilliantly and have pretty much grown back all of their feathers. One however was worse than the rest (we named her Frank Gallagher chicken, as she looked so scruffy!) and she doesnt seem to be getting any better. If anything she looks worse! Shes started to grow some feathers on her back and on her head but has lost quite a few from her wings. Shes eating and drinking fine, behaves perfectly normally, and we havnt seen any evidence of feather pecking after a few weeks of using anti-peck bits on the worst of the bullies, and making sure they all had a good coat of ukedex. None of the other girls (we have 8 hybrids and 6 ex batts) have anythign wrong with them.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Ex Batt help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 18:54 »
Could she be moulting as well?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

coxyMFC

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 18:57 »
I dont think so, as most of what ive read said they dont loose to many at the same time, and she has some quite exposed areas at the crook of her wing. (im not sure its called the crook, but its the crook on my arm)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 19:18 »
hi, i think Kate is right, i also have exbatts, little dory was in a bit of a state, then broke her wing, and stopped laying all at the same time. i thought it could be the stress of the move and broken wing , but no, she was having a partial moult. some parts of her went really bald....the good news is 8 weeks on, she is looking great, and just started laying again.  good luck :D

coxyMFC

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 19:24 »
Ive taken a pic so you can see...

This is when we first got her (Sorry havnt got a better one, but she is circled)

And this is her now (Ive just been outside to take this)

Im not sure if she is laying or not, all our girls share nest boxes.

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 19:47 »
i have a  ex batt like that  and shes in between trying ro get some good feathers poor thing its taken her a year but i am hoping she picks right up before this winter or esle she;ll be wearing a little jumper .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

jackieb

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 19:55 »
One of mine from June rescue is only just putting her feathers up.  Penny who was oven ready feathered up really quickly but Bella has been really slow to get her feathers and has only just started to put up some brown feathers in the last couple of weeks.  She is the lowest in the pecking order or was until we got some new ones but she wasn't being feathered picked she just didn't grow any back as quickly as the others.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 20:00 »
im no expert by a long shot, if she isnt showing any signs of illness, and is fine, other than feathers, and your sure there is no lice/mites, then it probably is just a moult! if im at all worried about mine, i pop them along to the vets, better to be safe than sorry  :D, she does look like one of mine when she was moulting tho :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 20:25 »
Our ex-batts have been with us three weeks ... they didn't have too much feather loss, just their chest area ... no sign of new feathers yet, and they're looking scruffier now than they did when they arrived!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 20:56 »
We have one who looks pretty similar - she was so bald when we got her we named her drumstick...she's starting to feather up now (7 weeks later) but her bum is still bald and so  is her tail and wings...so dont worry I think it takes some longer than others.

Good Luck - have you tried some poultry tonic to pep her up a bit perhaps?

Cattin

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53 »
Snap.

All the other 7 have now got beautiful frilly knickers and lovely bronze overcoats, but Tilly hasn't changed at all.  Still looks as bad and no sign of any regrowth.  Which makes her vulnerable in any squabbles.  With the others it's a beakfull of feathers, with her it's mostly skin.  She's now got a couple of patches of purple spray as well,to add to her charms.

I'm just hoping and praying that she will have a proper moult and sort herself out before winter..........or as you say, wooly jumper time........and I do have a knitting pattern on standby :lol:

xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE
xx
x batt hens

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 15:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Uphappy new ex-batt

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 12:43
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 28 queries.