Uphappy new ex-batt

• 3 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Uphappy new ex-batt
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:08 »
I picked up three ex-batts yesterday.  None of them are particularly happy about the weather (dry, no snow but very cold wind), but one seems very miserable.  Her tail is down and I have seen her shut her eyes a couple of times. She keeps going to peck at food, but missing it and pecking at nothing. 

She didn't come out yesterday when I brought them home, so has probably had nothing to eat or drink.  Do you think it is because she isn't as brave as the other two and is still very scared, or is she poorly?  The are in a little three walled wooden shelter that is keeping the worst of the wind off, but should I bring her indoors?

When I picked her up from the farm, they mentioned she was nodding off, but said she was just tired from the upheaval of the day.

Scaredy hen or ill, does anybody have any idea?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Uphappy new ex-batt
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:39 »
I have no experience of ex-bats, but tail down, closing eyes and not eating isn't good.  I'd bring her in but into a cool room and try getting some food and water down her quick.

Pellets mixed into a porridge might be easier for her to eat and may stimulate her to get going again.  She's probably only ever had pellets so best stick to what she knows for now  :)

Pat4d

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11 »
Good afternoon,

I picked up 3 Ex 'free range' hens from BHWT in Bristol on Saturday, like yours 2 of mine are quite subdued and are staying mainly in the coop.
Mine however have been out briefly to feed and drink. The other one is quite sprightly and is quite brave.
My theory is it is cold and they are a bit scared I am going to give them a few days to settle before getting too worried about them.

Good luck with yours,

Pat.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:43 »
They are probably used to a layers mash rather than pellets, so making a porridge of pellets and water for her is good.  I used to give mine Poultry spice too.

They are also used to temperature controlled housing and being inside all the time, so sometimes the stress does get to them.  Some of ours didn't step outside for 4 days. 

Be patient with her and get as much goodness as you can inside her to build up her immune system too.  They are not used to the nasty germs you get in the outside world!   ;)

Good luck with her.

xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
x batt hens

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 20:34
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.