What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2355 on: September 25, 2013, 21:04 »
I dug up loads of Pink Fir Apple potatoes,fabulous crop, 1 root weighed in at 8lbs or so. Once I got home Mr S suggested we go back & dismantle the shed from Ben's plot & transfer it to mine now I have paid & Ben was up there emptying it when I person there,so we did
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2356 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55 »
Dug up some spuds. They've been amazing this year. Today's largest one was 990g, easily the biggest potato I've ever grown

Do you water them? I have had the worst year! Slow and small.  Beginning to think I need to give them more attention when it's dry.

I think I watered them once this summer, when it was really dry and the leaves looked like they were wilting a bit.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2357 on: September 26, 2013, 14:53 »
Planted my onion sets (radar) and covered them with fleece to stop the birds pulling them out.
Built a shelter over the courgettes to keep them going a bit longer.
Picked a load of blackberries, it really is a bumper crop this year, it is only the second year and I hadn't realized how bad last year's crop was until I saw the big fat berries this year.
Anne

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2358 on: September 26, 2013, 18:49 »
Had a nice couple of hours at the plot after not such a nice day at a funeral.  :(
I "relieved" the plot of 2 of the 4 courgette plants, and we also got rid of the french beans that had acquired some disease or other that i've never seen before.
O/h took up all the stones from one bit of path so we can put some new weed control down.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

easyonthebrain

« Reply #2359 on: September 26, 2013, 20:16 »
Although not an allotment, Took the haws of the potatoes and then picked the rest of the string beans, removed a couple of plants on the way out and picked a few of the tomatoes  turning red. Hopefully the rest will go red or yellow over next few days. Onion sets planted and some garlic planted out as well. Its been a good day...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2360 on: September 26, 2013, 20:18 »
Put the doors back on the PT after months  :)
I cook therefore I grow

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2361 on: September 26, 2013, 21:15 »
Moved  (summer fruiting) rasperries, planted up strawb runners, watered around a bit and got a lovely surprise when a guy a few plots down came and gave me a huge bunch of comfrey -roots n'all, as I'd asked on the way past if he would mind me digging up  some during the winter.  He seemed surprised I wanted it for plant food- apparently they make a drink with it in Jamaica!

Then my neighbour gifted me with a massive 'Chinese summer squash' after we discussed our love of pumpkins.

Fox has moved out of old compost mound leaving me with a 5ft sq, 3ft deep 'raised bed' at the back of the plot, furthest from the tank.  Now what needs excellent drainage, tolerates drought and depth of soil to save me re-distributing it about the plot?

Feeling very blessed  :D 

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #2362 on: September 26, 2013, 21:20 »
planted 12 spring cabbages, 34 Japanese onions  and 9 PSB and had a lovely 3 1/2 hours, oh and some digging over.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

snowdrops

« Reply #2363 on: September 26, 2013, 22:01 »
Had a bonfire, tis allowed today. Dug up more the last of the spuds, turned the compost bins-my what a lot of work,I didn't have shift some stuff,layered it all with manure  & comfrey to kick start it all again.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2364 on: September 27, 2013, 18:53 »
Cleared the French Beans that had halo bright (I think) and dug in some manure. Collected the tomatoes and some rocket and lettuce!
Watered the spring cabbage and caulis. Took the  pernicious weeds collected in a bag to the tip!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2365 on: September 27, 2013, 19:33 »
Picked the last tomatoes, 20lbs of mostly green, pulled up the plants ready to dig over on our next visit. Don't know when that will be 'cos we're visiting daughter 3 and her family this weekend. Plotfather has started to put together a workbench in the greenhouse for me.  :) Can't wait for next year.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2366 on: September 27, 2013, 22:24 »

Picked 2lbs of elderberries.

Picked Bobby Butternut, here's a family photo.  Billy on the right, one parent in front. Not sure what or who was the other parent  :) 

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2367 on: September 27, 2013, 22:41 »

Picked 2lbs of elderberries.

Picked Bobby Butternut, here's a family photo.  Billy on the right, one parent in front. Not sure what or who was the other parent  :) 

I have some that look like this... was beginning to wonder if i'd planted some random Gigante di napoli (despite never having bought them) ... will they ripen off the plant?

Steveharford

« Reply #2368 on: September 28, 2013, 17:02 »
Picked up more garlic and onion sets from malvern show. Trying Shakespeare this year for first time. Also radar again as they did so well for me.  Busy day tomorrow

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2369 on: September 28, 2013, 21:09 »
Had a whole day planned as family were all going out  :)
Spent most of it as a taxi to the tram and back  :(

Did get 1hr + 2hr+ 1hr in though, between mum-duties; planted rhubarbs, re-sited my path line and planted strawbs down the length, winterised my munty frame by wrappping clingfilm around sides and adding doors at ends from pop bottles and putting a upcv sheet on the slant top.  Cues nice and snuggly inside, beans drying off inside there too.  Pottered and generally enjoyed the quiet.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 29 queries.