What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Ema

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2235 on: September 01, 2013, 22:21 »
Popped down just before dusk - its getting dark early already! Water and picked tomorrows lunch. Saw a big fat rat  >:( explains where most of my sweet corn went I thought it was just birds

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2236 on: September 01, 2013, 22:28 »
Cleaned up the patio after having most of it repointed ! Finished carpeting the PT after a wrongly timed revamp ,but hey dodo happens  :D
I cook therefore I grow

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2237 on: September 01, 2013, 22:43 »
Three visits for us today - oh my! Although to be honest only one was productive, the other 2 were to harvest (once with mum for her dinner, and then later for ours)
Our productive visit consisted of trimming the strawberry tower ahead of winter, getting rid of all the powdery mildew affected leaves on the squash, pumpkins and courgettes and doing some weeding.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

joolz68

« Reply #2238 on: September 01, 2013, 22:46 »
I was digging out yet more   pink fir potatos till 6pm,im glad i went home for some tea and  a shower when i did  as i would of missed the most glowing red sunset here in derbyshire,the sky was amazing  :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2239 on: September 01, 2013, 22:52 »
I was digging out yet more   pink fir potatos till 6pm,im glad i went home for some tea and  a shower when i did  as i would of missed the most glowing red sunset here in derbyshire,the sky was amazing  :)
Same in somerset  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2240 on: September 02, 2013, 23:20 »
In the garden today (and yesterday)

Yesterday I dug out the 2 rows of Robinta potatoes and the dead mangetout peas (after saving plenty of seed for next year ;) ).

Today dug over that area aagain and put  1/2 a bag of well rotted manure in there, then sowed 2 more rows of radishes 'French Breakfast', a row of Pak Choi, a row of sprouting Chinese lettuce and a row of Spinach 'Ho Hei F1' - all winter leaves apart from the radish.

I also sowed in trays, some mixed lettuces, Broccoli 'Raab', Cauli 'All the year round', Spring cabbage 'Durham Early' - for spring greens and more rocket.

Also planted 2 more perpetual spinach plants in a big pot in the garden (to go with the dozen plants on the lottie) - what can I say I like spinach!!! :happy:

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2241 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19 »
I have a medium sized veg plot at home fenced off from the main garden due to having 2 ladradors who like to dig etc - well it has been over grown now for about 3 years due to ill health etc just been growing in tubs and pots on the patio and greenhouse.  Been trying to get an allotment as used to have one and the community side of it helped keep me motivated and I feel with help encourage the children to join in.  Make slight progress with that but in the mean time decided to start clearing the home plot and OMG that is going to be a task.  I spent hours yesterday clearing hedge back so I can even see the plot and Im amazed how big it is and haven't finished that yet.  I now have in the middle of the plot a pile of hedge cutting that will probably be a November 5th bonfire party it is huge!  Plan is to keep clearing have a bonfire then survey what I have left and what I can do with it - wish me luck

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2242 on: September 03, 2013, 13:28 »
wish me luck
Good luck - and have fun!

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2243 on: September 03, 2013, 13:33 »
Besides the harvesting, continued preparing the ground after onions and potatoes harvested. Tidied up the edges and planted a Meconopsis in the flower bed (I am determined to grow one from seed!!).

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2244 on: September 03, 2013, 14:02 »
 :) We went this morning with 2 grand daughters. 10 year old helped me with watering and some harvesting  :)while the Plotfather went abut his strimming  :blink: (ooooh he does like a gadget) and 7 year old played mud pies :nowink:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2245 on: September 03, 2013, 18:56 »
As I was passing with 3 healthy teenagers and a lot of watering to do... I insisted we stop on the way home and they help!  The 18 yr old even wore my gardening hat  :happy: They had a good time and really enjoyed their dinner....my first year of tomatoes and corn ever  :D
IMG00269.jpg
IMG00268.jpg
IMG00277.jpg
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 18:57 by pigguns »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2246 on: September 03, 2013, 19:42 »
Dug over the overgrown area near my shed with OH this afternoon - dug up one of the 'Ben Lomond' blackcurrants, drastically trimmed it and replanted it in a new spot.  One more blackcurrant to do another day.

Also dug up my old herb wheel as well overgrown and unmanageable.
The original idea was to plant a herb between each spoke and keep them small ::)
5 or 6 years later and you can no longer see the wheel!
And of all the herbs I planted, all that's left is Rosemary (very woody, messy), lemon balm (as bad as mint - spreading everywhere) and oregano (amazing strong old plant but again woody).

Saved loads of herb s for cooking this week and took 7 cuttings of rosemary to start again :)

Not sure what to put in the gap...

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2247 on: September 03, 2013, 21:40 »
Started preparing ground for garlic and autumn onions.
Decided to try some green manure. Have sown some tares in one area, will see how it works out

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2248 on: September 03, 2013, 23:39 »
Picked about 4lbs of runner beans, and 14 cucumbers.  I seem to remember complaining about them not producing, not long ago.  :unsure:  Boy are they making up for it! ;)
Anne

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2249 on: September 03, 2013, 23:52 »
It's Tuesday (and therefore Great British Bake off day). So only a very quick visit to the plot to water in the greenhouse and harvest what we need for dinner, so I could make sure I was sat down in front of BBC2 at 8pm.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 31 queries.