What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

suziequeue

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2250 on: September 04, 2013, 07:57 »
We had a huge bonfire and burned all the weeds and other accumulated garden wood (old fence posts and the like). Also - all last year's left over poor quality hay (there's too much to realistically compost) which is full of rat pee.

Then went and helped a friend with his hay harvest....... a rather unexpected three hour uppper limbs workout!!!

The bonfire is still smoking this morning and it is crisp and misty so I woke up to a "season of mist and mellow fruitfulness" atmosphere.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2251 on: September 04, 2013, 11:02 »
Hubby cleared the tomato bed and took away all blighted greens, also cleared the remaining spud tops and now we will leave spuds in situ for a few weeks. Also picked more beans, courgettes and more cabbages. So thats decided todays dinner post

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2252 on: September 04, 2013, 20:36 »
Got down on my own this morning- had a great time checking over the squash (found a large butternut I'd missed), cut some veg, stripped some leaves off the toms to improve air, and went to cut down the rubbish dwarf beans when lo & behold the little blighters have started producing at last- picked a load of purple, yellow wax and saxa! Change of plan  ::)

Dug out a bit more of the fox den at the back (trying to encourage the fox to move on) and found bits of asbestos in the old dirt heap  :nowink: that'll be another email to the council then....

suziequeue

« Reply #2253 on: September 04, 2013, 21:34 »
Picked a load of onions. I can't believe that we've just completely ignored them and they've come up with the goods. Garlic is pretty rubbish though. Tried to sell seven beautiful aubergines to the local organic shop but they can't take local produce as it's not "up to standard".

Judging by the mouldy ones they were trying to shift I can see what they mean...... certainly not up to my standard  >:(

So - more of Val's spicy aubergine chutney on the way.

Burnt more hay  ???

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2254 on: September 04, 2013, 23:38 »
Dug up the last of my onions and left them to dry on the soil.  Forecast is for rain so I will have to move them tomorrow.  Quite a few rotten ones though. :(
Anne

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #2255 on: September 05, 2013, 21:44 »
Visited the plot this evening and picked as well as other things half a carrier bag of mint to prep for freezing and brought the garlic home, mint and garlic scent for the car is not going to catch on. :lol:
Yer Tiz!!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2256 on: September 05, 2013, 21:46 »
How on earth are people doing other stuff apart from harvesting, the day is not long enough  :ohmy: planning a visit this weekend ( my first for weeks) saturday morning wth harrison and florence in tow, it may not go to plan  ::)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2257 on: September 05, 2013, 22:07 »
In the back garden: planted potatoes for the silly season!  They were well chitted so hopefully I will have 3 bags of spuds to see me through the winter.
Trimmed my adult herb plants. Parsley (curly and flat leaf), Greek oregano and basil.
Will sow my onion sets in cut down toilet rolls tomorrow.  :)

Flowertot

« Reply #2258 on: September 05, 2013, 22:25 »
Weeded and weeded and weeded

Ema

« Reply #2259 on: September 05, 2013, 22:31 »
Watered while doing a rain dance, no sign of the promised showers yet...

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2260 on: September 06, 2013, 17:25 »
Watered while doing a rain dance, no sign of the promised showers yet...
So the rain we've had almost all day is your fault. Please improve your targetting  :tongue2:

chillimummy

« Reply #2261 on: September 06, 2013, 20:15 »
went for whole day yesterday and weeded lots and lots.  ;)  picked some lovely big raspberries and 2 more cabbages. think next year might plant few less!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

suziequeue

« Reply #2262 on: September 07, 2013, 13:54 »
Spent most of the day cooking up the fruits of our labours - 4 litres of onion soup and sixteen portions of moussaka with home reared lamb, aubergines from the polytunnel and onions from the middle field. Yum Yum.

Need to do some broccoli and stilton soup toy but if I  have to slice another onion I'm gonna go nuts.

Have taken delivery of the motor and pulleys for my chicken plucking machine so am going for a session in the workshop instead.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2263 on: September 07, 2013, 14:11 »
Had a struggle getting through the gate of my plot, the wind had blown the arch over and the way in was a tangled mass of arch and honeysuckle.  So after hacking my way through that lot I picked some squashes, runners, tomatoes and blackberries.  No cucumbers! Yay!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2264 on: September 07, 2013, 16:11 »
Obviously not visiting the plot for 9 days is good for it as I harvested over 7.5kg of tomatoes, some beetroot, yellow courgettes, 2 red cabbages and some potatoes that I missed before. I also began to weed out the semi- raised bed in my newly acquired half plot

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 29 queries.