What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1770 on: July 01, 2013, 12:08 »
quick trip to harvest crops at both plots, large bowl of mange tout small bowl of potato, and a few onions, weeded a little bit of strawberry patch.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1771 on: July 01, 2013, 13:37 »
Planted out sweetcorn, more cucumber and butternut squash, sowed more peas and a load of herbs (was with my 5 year old niece, had to be willing to lose some seeds).

Weeded

taught niece how to tell what seeds they are by looking at the picture on the pack.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1772 on: July 01, 2013, 13:51 »
taught niece how to tell what seeds they are by looking at the picture on the pack.

:D

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
Just a quick trip to the allotment
« Reply #1773 on: July 01, 2013, 15:30 »
'Just a quick trip to the allotment' - We have all said those famous words I am sure, and if it wasn't for the phone call reminding me to collect my daughter from pre-school, I would probably still be there.....

All of the job's I wanted to get done were completed and I got a bit extra in :) don't you just love days like today :)

First job was to tidy the shed, its been a dumping ground since it was first put up, then a mini harvest (radish, salad leaves, a single strawberry and five raspberries, a couple of peas and a handfull of small new potatoes from a 'volunteer plant').
Then the bonus being I was able to weed the leek 'bed' :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 15:40 by Nij48 »
2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1774 on: July 01, 2013, 15:36 »
I did a little watering, it's very dry here  :( and sowed some more mixed salad leaves.

The row of parsnips has finally shown up - what a surprise I sowed them months ago and was planning something else for that row  :nowink:

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1775 on: July 01, 2013, 19:52 »
Watered the poly, then started weeding the weeds that have invaded my plot since I've been away on hols!!
Still lots more to do :ohmy:

snowdrops

Re: Just a quick trip to the allotment
« Reply #1776 on: July 01, 2013, 20:08 »
'Just a quick trip to the allotment' - We have all said those famous words I am sure, and if it wasn't for the phone call reminding me to collect my daughter from pre-school, I would probably still be there.....

All of the job's I wanted to get done were completed and I got a bit extra in :) don't you just love days like today :)

First job was to tidy the shed, its been a dumping ground since it was first put up, then a mini harvest (radish, salad leaves, a single strawberry and five raspberries, a couple of peas and a handfull of small new potatoes from a 'volunteer plant').
Then the bonus being I was able to weed the leek 'bed' :)

It's great when it all comes together & good to be able to accomplish more than you set out to do,unfortunatley that rarely happens in my case. Your plot's looking great. :)

edit to remove photos from a long quote
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 16:31 by mumofstig »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1777 on: July 01, 2013, 22:15 »
Planted out 14 'Nero di Toscana' Tuscan Kale and netted it.
Lots of weeding! you go away for 2 weeks and suddenly everything is rampant! ::) :D
Planted out some more lettuces, watered them in and few other things that looked a bit dry.
Drove to the tip to get rid of green waste and back again.

Oh, then I cut the grass in the garden. That was rampant too! :lol:

pompeyboy61

« Reply #1778 on: July 01, 2013, 22:44 »
Picked the first of the Mange tout , Pak Choi and Spinach so stir fry tomorrow. Planted some lettuce , then watered the runner beans. Looked at the French beans growing strongly then noticed a gap, three had been dug up with a hole full of P** . Have foxes and badgers on the site so assume it is one of them. What attracted it to my French Beans , annoying to say the least.

Jackypam

« Reply #1779 on: July 01, 2013, 23:04 »
Aha, have forgotten to sow the pak choi!  That was good last year, I wonder if there is any seed left over in my smart Christmas present seed packet tin...  Another job for tomorrow after work if I can find a space.  Might have to harvest my onions to make room for all the things I am remembering as I read what you are all harvesting!

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1780 on: July 02, 2013, 05:25 »
My brother and parents have taken pity on me whilst I am away in with work and strimmed, dug 2 new beds, weeded and watered. So so lucky as I hate to think what it would have been like when I get home otherwise!!!!! Soooooooo looking forward to getting back and looking at the progress  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1781 on: July 02, 2013, 07:23 »
Did another bit of digging, put in another compost bin ( someone please tell my dad there is a limit to how many one plot needs) moved the water butt over to allow room for the composter.
Also emptied the pallet bin ( dad was using it as a storage area )  ::) why is he so messy. We have started to fill it now so that should stop him  :happy:
Relaid some of the black plastic to tidy it up, needs stripping off and relaying now as there is spare that could be removed.
Picked 6lb strawberries from one bed  :blink: so once hubby got home i ordered some more jam jar lids. I will order jars next week when my bank balance looks healthier.  :wacko: i have lots of jars but the lids and jars dont come in equal amounts  :lol:

So planning another batch of jam with the last of the jars, what flavour to put with todays strawberries

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1782 on: July 02, 2013, 13:06 »
Dug my first potato plant - just under a kilo from one plant. I'm happy !!

blackberryjam

« Reply #1783 on: July 02, 2013, 15:52 »
Droped off 3 pallets and Planted the 6 broccoli family gave me.

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
Re: Just a quick trip to the allotment
« Reply #1784 on: July 02, 2013, 16:00 »
It's great when it all comes together & good to be able to accomplish more than you set out to do,unfortunatley that rarely happens in my case. Your plot's looking great. :)

Cheers Snow :) Taken a lot of work (which I have thoroughly enjoyed)

Today I was gifted a further 1/4 plot (well its a 1/8th really, it is part of the plot the orchard is on) - so the plan for future is to use it as a winter/spring area (leeks, broc & sprouts) and prob a bit of a salad garden in the summer.
It does require a little bit of work and a lot of tidying, but I will sort out a veg patch quickly for this year and plant some more sprouts etc and sort the rest out in the new year......

Just thinking about my plans, they are as follows;
* Sort chicken shed - ASAP (am on with it now)
* Strim and rotavate the orchard  - Aug/Sep
* Move currants and goose to orchard - Oct
* Build herb garden kids area - Oct/Nov/Dec
* Build poly - Oct/Nov/Dec
* Sort out veg plot number 2 Jan/Feb/Mar

edit to remove photos from long quote
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 16:29 by mumofstig »

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.