Advice please on ducks

• 8 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Advice please on ducks
« on: March 22, 2010, 19:41 »
I'll try to keep this simple lol. I started off with a pair of call ducks, everything was rosy, Daisy even started laying eggs, then one day she just disappeared! Poor old Duke was pining for her so the hunt was on for a new mate for Duke. Now this proved to be harder than I realised, and in the process I bought two minature Silver Appleyards. But still no mate for Duke. Although he did get on rather well with the new female, 2 drakes and one duck isnt a good ratio. Finally on Sunday, yesterday, I managed to get a new mate for Duke. The poor old thing, as soon as I introduced her yesterday, Duke was on her like a shot, so much so that I think he traumatised her!! She hid under a bush for ages and wouldnt come out. The new Appleyard drake, Jack, kind of took her under his wing as were, and looked after her. My problem is that now Jack is possessive of both his women, and not letting Duke near either of them! Poor old Duke is being ostrasized (sp), I know he needs to learn some duck etiquitte, but what should I do. I've tried keeping the two pairs separate today, but as soon as I put them away tonight, Jack was staight on her claiming her back!  I have again separated them, putting one pair in the pen and the other pair in the greenhouse overnight. How long should I keep them apart, or should I just put them all together and let them sort it out for themselves? Sorry its a bit long winded :wub:

janette

Re: Advice please on ducks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 20:07 »
I think the answer might be to get him a bigger harem and pen them up topgether then you will have pure eggs to sell or hatch

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 20:54 »
With two drakes you could do with having at least four girls (it is usually advised 3 girls to each drake when you have more than 1 drake in a flock) so that problems don't arise. I have two drakes who have been together since hatch and are incredibly bonded to each other along with 4 girls and even with this number they will have the occasional dominance display to determine who is the big boss. Unfortunately with the Appleyard having claimed the new girl and her seeming to prefer him there may be fights between the two drakes over the coming weeks with Duke becoming even more ostracised from the group.

I would suggest either a long separation of the two pairs (although then when they are put back together the two drakes are likely to fight) or get another two girls for them. They don't have to be the same breed unless you want to breed (my girls are four different breeds) just a similar sizing and then hopefully both boys will have their own harem.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:10 »
Many thanks Caralou for your reply. That is what I was thinking. Not sure what my husband would say to the idea of more ducks tho lol. So it would appear to be a long separation! Luckily I have the space, so it needn't be too much of a problem.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 17:20 »
As said the options are permenent separation in pair or more ducks. I have to say that if you have the space I really would recommend more ducks as now you just have the same problem of 1:1 pairing so that the duck will get harrassed but twice over!

G'wan! You know you want more ducks!!! :tongue2:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 17:29 »
I agree entirely Kate - the more ducks the better  ;)  :tongue2: Then again it is partly your fault I have so many ducks myself.... After seeing the lovely Patrick I wanted Cayugas and your Appleyard and her wonderful broody ways had the same effect on me (although my new Appleyard is in need of a diet - had never seen a fat duck until she arrived! - and isnt even laying let alone going broody for me)  ::)

Two separated trios would be perfect though and the boys would be a lot happier and the girls a lot less harassed  :lol: I'm sure hubby wouldn't notice two little ones being snuck in.....

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 18:14 »
LOL I love you guys!! Its either get rid of Jack, (hubbys idea) or the one I favour is getting two more girlies!! Would I still have to keep them separate tho? Or would they just stick to their own harem?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 18:43 »
You could mix them together if you got another 2 girlies and see how it goes. Other than the occasional squabble the boys should be fine as they will both have girls to tread and will be happy with the arrangement  ;) You may find that the boys don't stick to breed though so if you want pure hatching eggs you will need to seperate them for that  :)

tammyc

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 21:56 »
Just a bit of advice on the back of this ... If I was to get ducks would I have to get any boys?  Can you not just have 3 girlies?

xx
New to ducks and need some advice!

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 09:44
by Foxy
xx
Advice re Ducks....

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:39
by Prod
xx
need to re-home ducks advice please

Started by gayleshort on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:13
by joyfull
xx
advice on ducks needed

Started by paddy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 20:42
by paddy

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 29 queries.