Lemon curd

• 21 Replies

chrissie B

Re: Lemon curd
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 10:54 »
i love lemon curd and make mine in the microwave and also put it in the thick greek yoghurt  yummy its a bit tarter but at least you know whats gone into it .
chrissie b :D
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Junie

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 11:39 »
@ MOS, there wasn't anything drastically wrong with it, it was just a bit flat.  Even dividing a 3 egg quantity of victoria sponge between two tins (one 8 in and one  7 inch d'oh... that's another story!) resulted in cakes not much more than half an inch deep.

It's the flour... Most of the flour available here is plain, and I used to have such hit and miss results adding baking powder that I resorted to buying the "cake flour" which has a raising agent in it, but the results are so spotty between the brands.

Then again, I made a great chocolate cake, same marg, sugar, flour, eggs, and it turned out perfect, but the lemon...

Anyway, once sandwiched and iced with feather icing it didn't look too bad - wouldn't win any shows, but it certainly disappeared quickly at work!
\

I use the patisserie flour, but always have to use extra baking powder to make anything rise.  I'm not sure it has any or much raising agent in, but is just a finer type of flour,

gardengnome

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57 »
Amazing lemon curd recipe here:
http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/52-microwave-lemon-or-lime-curd

It takes 6 minutes to do and it tastes amazing!  Can def recommend.
Rach x

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19 »
Thanks for that quick lemon curd recipe, gardengnome!  I just tried it for the first time and I will be using it again.  I don't think it will ever replace my basic lemon curd recipe but it is certainly a quick, low-volume standby if you want it for a dessert topping etc.

I divided the recipe in half so it was:
1 lemon
1 egg

55g sugar (I used ordinary sugar, not caster sugar)
30g butter
My other variation is that I grated a little of the lemon zest into it as well, because I like the added flavour and texture.
I put everything into a 2-cup capacity glass measuring jug, and cooked it in 30-second bursts until it was thick, whisking between each zap.  Done.

So quick and easy!  And such a small quantity that I poured it all into a little glass jam dish, ready for popping on the table for morning toast.

By the way I never have a problem with my usual recipe curdling - maybe because I make it in a glass bowl set on top of a pot of boiling water so the curd never gets too hot.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:20 by Lindeggs »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42 »
If you like lemon curd, give this a try.  It's from the River Cottage preserves cookbook and is yum  :)

Bramley Lemon Curd - yields 5 x 225g jars

450g bramleys - peeled cored and chopped
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons (100 ml strained juice - I needed 2 lemons to get 50 ml for a half quantity batch, so have a couple of spare lemons around)
125g unsalted butter
450g granulated sugar
4-5 large eggs - well beaten and sieved (200 ml egg)

Cook the apples with the zest and 100 ml water until soft and beat to a puree with a spoon
Put the butter, sugar, lemon juice and apples in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
When the butter melts and before the mixture gets too hot, whisk in the eggs
Stir over a gentle heat for 9-10 mins until thick and creamy, then put into sterilsed jars

Keeps 4 weeks and needs to go in the fridge once opened, but you won't have any storage issues as it will call to you from the fridge  ;) You can swap gooseberries for the apple, but haven't tried that version yet.

Poolfield2

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 23:03 »
That sounds great and it will make the costly ingredients go further and I still have loads of stewed apple I bottled last year. Thank you!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 11:22 »
I like the idea of the gooseberries in it. I'll have to give that a go next year  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Lemon curd

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 18:13
by chrissie B
xx
Lemon curd

Started by ohsocute on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 18:54
by chrissie B
xx
Lemon Curd

Started by retiredatlast on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2017, 09:55
by mumofstig
xx
Lemon or Lime curd.

Started by JaK on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 11:19
by JaK

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 32 queries.