how are your veg plots doing ?

• 12 Replies

sizer247

how are your veg plots doing ?
« on: July 17, 2012, 14:29 »
Hi im just wondering how your your eg is doing in this crazy weather,my beg seems very slow an talking to other people on the site everyone seems in the same boat where I live , an talk about slug attack there driving me mad an getting through all my defences were struggling here how are you all doing ?

erainn

• Experienced Member
Re: how are your veg plots doing ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 14:40 »
ditto :( thinking of using my plot as a a recreation of a mud pit

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 15:03 »
I have cabbages aplenty. Ditto rasps and gooseberries. Potatoes looking good. I've been eating carrots, the herbs are doing well and so far I've had three cauliflowers. The leeks are looking really perky. Onions are being harvested and they're fine.  Dug up a whole row of Early Purple Wight garlic at the weekend and they're lovely. Well chuffed. Because of the rain the celery and celeriac seem to be bulking up quickly and the celeriac has swollen roots already

The garlic I dug up had rather a lot of slugs on them but they seem not have done any damage to them thank goodness.  Fennels promising and the beetroots have got going at long last. Seed wise though it's another story. None of my direct sowings seem to have amounted to anything and some are second and third sowings. Maybe it's just the torrential rain that has just washed them too deep. Not sure though

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 16:01 »
hmmm, my direct sowings have not been going too well either - the weeds germinate about the same time so the bed turns into a green carpet and becomes difficult to distinguish the types until everything has grown some more and become more established  ::)  Somewhere I started off swede, carrots and beetroots and they have disappeared under the neighbouring foliage.  Oh well.

Touch wood I'm doing okay - my plot at the bottom of the hill is getting very saturated but the (6" high) raised beds are paying off now - just enough to keep the roots from sitting in a lake just beneath the soil surface.  Things are slow but nothing has been a complete disaster  :)

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 19:40 »

It's a constant battle with the weeds at the moment.
The continual rain has made hoeing difficult,and not been able to do as much as I would like.
Slugs and snails are in abundance,and have had a good go at my runner beans,French beans and chilli and pepper plants.
The runner and French beans are a lot slower than last year.
Broad beans have been ok as have mange tout peas, rhubarb,strawberries raspberries,lettuce,psb
The sweet corn is coming along but will need some heat soon.
I've not had any tomato's yet
overall its not been a good year

Cheers Carl

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 19:45 »
Despite the dodgy start, things are all going quite well now

I think sowiing in modules when the ground was waterlogged was really helpful, and of course the short lived drought was also avoided in the same way.

Lots to eat, and masses more to come I hope  :D

Pleasantly surprised  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

LilacSandy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 20:14 »
I have 8 rows of carrots and 6 rows of parsnips from where the seed did not grow so I sowed some more, and then some more......  After a lot of weeding I think I am going to have a bumper crop but I think all my carrots will mature at once. 

I had a good crop of Broad Beans and the follow on plants that I put our three weeks ago are flowering already.  Runners and french beans are slow but now starting to flower well so although late it should be a fair crop.

Slugs have eaten most of my peppers and the tomatoes are now starting to fruit at last.  Have a lot of flowers on my squashes and courgettes so hopeful for them.  Not one sweetcorn this year  :(.  Lots of soft fruit but not one apple, hopeful for the plums.  Loads of onions but will need to freeze most as they will not keep.  Garlic good again and I am hopeful they will dry in the poly tunnel (if I can stand the smell of 60 bulbs all drying at once)  Funny old year but once again plenty to eat.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 22:15 »
Not having a bad year.

Broad beans did OK, some poor pollination, but generally OK.

Garlic not as good as last year.  Shiraz and golden mange tout doing well.  Carrots in containers also done well.  Potatoes aren't brilliant, but acceptable.  

Slow start with the sweetcorn so not sure how these will do.

PSB was good, salad crops are good.  Onions - good apart from a handful of bulbs with white rot.  Strawberries were great - over 5 kilos harvested!  Gooseberries and white currants also good, blackcurrants were fair and redcurrants useless (as are tree fruit so far)

Things are roughly one month behind last year.  My plot doesn't flood thankfully.  We have spent a lot less time watering this year though!

Courgettes are going manic and we are already in glut.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 22:16 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 22:29 »
Doing well:
 Tatties, cabbages, seed sown onions, leeks, peas, broadbeans auquadulce, express and longpod - but Sutton is well covered with chocolate spot, turnips (those wee summer things), first try at summer purple sprouting broccoli and they are really heathy looking - but surprise of the year - we've grown cauliflower bigger than golf balls (in pots!) so, well chuffed at that  :)

Not doing well ..... Early Nantes carrots seem slow, beetroot eaten (and there's a vole now roving round and under the bed where the last survivors are).  Tomatoes slow. Onion and shallot sets - many producing seed heads.  Courgettes - and let's not mention the pumpkin  :nowink:

Time will tell how the swedes and Brussels fair

Big things learned this season - how to grow leeks to pencil width (got DD's cat tray tip to thank for that  :D ) and growing onions (seeds and sets) close together and many in pots (that tip came from Trillium and a mag article - and help from other folks here during the dark nights last winter :D)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 17:02 »
Like most seasons, some good, some not so good.
Carrots needed to be sown a second time, but no white fly on Kale or Sprouts yet.
Sugar Snaps etc slow to get started but Sqash romping away.
Silks just showing on 1st lot of Sweetcorn, so if weather warms up, should be OK.
Lots of Raspberries and Blueberries, poor showing on strawberries.
The raised beds and the drains installed when we first got the plots has made life a lot easier with all this rain.

Christine

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 18:20 »
Anything that grows this year is a bonus. Lack of sun is the main problem. However, the rhubarb, raspberries and broad beans have been brilliant. The marrows could be good. Peas a failure due to not germinating and then not thriving (note to self to look at that patch of soil).

Paris Market carrots good, Autumn King look to be not so. Garlic got rust so the cloves are small but OK. Some lettuce and summer turnips. Fennel didn't germinate well. Runner beans, climbing French beans, yin yang beans, dwarf beans all slow off the mark and the dwarf beans have fed a lot of snails. Lot of small salad leaves either not germinating or going straight to seed.

Still there's always the possibility that things will pick up if summer comes and if not, well there is next year.

audrey padmore

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 14:59 »
I've got one area that I sowed carrots and parsnip in but nothing germinated even the weeds are not in that patch can't understand it the bed next to it has peas and they are doing fine the slugs and snails are a menace they are breeding worse than I've ever known all my crops are getting hit by them I'll be lucky to have anything to harvest
cowheellou02

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 18:05 »
 Autumn sown broad beans did very well, parsnip had poor germination and those that did survive appear to be all tops, most of my other crops are about a month behind previous years,
Whilst it has been very wet in our area we must be thankful that we have not been flooded.
Retired but never short of a job.

xx
Two plots. Why?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 07:47
by lacewing
clip
My Allotment plots

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 16:28
by amiman
xx
dividing plots

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:23
by p00rstudent
xx
Virgin Plots

Started by TomGoodWannabe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 11:46
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 36 queries.