Two plots. Why?

• 15 Replies

Salmo

Two plots. Why?
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:41 »
Many of the contributors on this forum have been allocated half plots or smaller or are on a waiting list for allotments. Others seem to have two or even more full allotments with tractors, rotovators, polytunnels and room to keep poultry, pigs and goats.

We hear a lot about growing waiting lists and shortage of allotments. Can I ask those with multi-plots how they came to aquire them and if there is a waiting list on their allotment site.

What on earth do you do with all the produce?

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Re: Two plots. Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48 »
i have three plots, when i took them on over half the site was abondoned an empty, so the council were only too happy for me to have the extra plots as long as i tend to them. i use 1 and 1/2 plot for veg, 1/2 plot for chickens, and 1 plot for fruit.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:05 »
we took both ours on before it be came 'trendy' to have an allotment and there were alot of empty plots on our site. we took one first, then after a year took another to grow fruit on, but i am also putting an asparagus bed on there too wich stays but for about 20 yrs.

as for what we do with the produce - eat it!! you be suprprised how much veg a family of 4 can get through! i also freeze beans etc for use in the winter

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08 »
we took both ours on before it be came 'trendy' to have an allotment and there were alot of empty plots on our site. we took one first, then after a year took another to grow fruit on, but i am also putting an asparagus bed on there too wich stays but for about 20 yrs.

There's an offer in WI Life this month for free asparagus crowns but you just pay postage.
You might need to be a member of the WI, but if you don't need to be and if you want (and haven't got yours yet) I'll happily send you the voucher.

lucywil

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:13 »
that sounds interesting, i have grown some crowns from seed but the more the merrier!! if you are sure you dont want it i will pm you my address.

see that's why i need 2 plots, i cant say no to plants!!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:17 »
no probs - i'll cut it out tonight.
I don't like letting free stuff go to waste - it's not very good for the environment, is it?
I'll watch out for your PM  ;)

lucywil

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:25 »
Salmo, i just noticed you are also in peterborough, where abouts?

i know whittlesey has a long waiting list, i know some one that's been on the list 3 yrs and is still no.20, there is over 100 people on the list

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 13:27 »
Many of our members have one and a half or two plots or two half plots.

Our Society has 5 excellent size plots that are so overgrown that people on the waiting list will not take them on.  (Fair enough.) These plots will inevitably be given to existing members with the time and experience to deal with them.

The plot next to me is a constant source of wind blown weed and I have to pull them out from that plot before they head.  It's getting a bit over grown now despite the work and help that we’ve given the guy next door last year and I'll be very surprised if I see him this year at all.  If no one else wants that plot in a couple of years I'll be in a position to take it over as I’m doing a lot of work keeping it tidy as it is.. I guess that's how these things happen.

I share a plot and a half with my Mum & Dad.  Mom & Pop feed themselves, and give loads to my brother's family of 5 and my grandparents and take bags of veg with them when they visit friends.  I also have fresh grown veg every day from late May to Late October and beyond and I take bags of veg to friends when I visit. That's four house holds fed every year.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 14:06 »
I got a plot almost 3 weeks ago and will be taking another when i get hte paper work which my dad will be working as well.   The site we are on is doind a regeneration project right now ans was happy for us to take the 2nd plot.   
Thanks
Kris

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 14:20 »
I have two slightly undersize half plots, about 8-9 rods altogether. I thought they were the last ones in the village when I took them on. One person has enquired about getting an allottment, since, but by the time I heard about it and volunteered to give one up as I hadn't finished clearing them, he got one on a site I had completely forgotten about (Private I think.)
I'm not expecting to get more from them (and patches at home) than I can use. I also want to grow green manure/chicken fodder, but I don't think I am going to have enough space. If by any miracle I do get more than I know what to do with I have plenty of neighbours who will appreciate fresh home grown veg. :)

Incidentally, when I took the last council plots, there was talk of making more!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 14:26 by woodburner »
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

crowndale

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 14:34 »
I have what was a half plot but is now called a 'full' plot becoz the parish council halved the plot size becoz of the wait list.  I would love a second half plot so I can run a proper full sized one.  half a plot though does keep me busy enough with babies to care for too, but once I have moved current bubs on I am looking at probably several months without a baby so could easily knock a second plot into shape then!  But sadly we are not allowed second plots becoz of the wait list despite some 'old timers' holding 4 or 5 half plots and many have two.  don't begrudge them theirs but do think if we are prepared to wiat the two to three years on the wait list that 2 plost should be ok after all it is really still only the size of a standard plot.  guess I'll just have to make my current plot super tidy and well cared for!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 16:16 »
I have a 1/2 and a 1/4 plot. I and my family eat our produce. As far as I know there is no waiting list. The other 1/4 plot is a waste of time as the holder just grows grass on it, for the wildlife :wacko: She cuts the grass with a hand mower and she wears high heels while mowing!!!!
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

chilli-pot

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 00:09 »
I have a 1/2 and a 1/4 plot. I and my family eat our produce. As far as I know there is no waiting list. The other 1/4 plot is a waste of time as the holder just grows grass on it, for the wildlife :wacko: She cuts the grass with a hand mower and she wears high heels while mowing!!!!
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 00:33 »
Never mind the high heels; if she hasn't let it grow so tall that she can't use the hand mower on it, it isn't long enough to be any benefit to wildlife either!  :nowink:

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 00:41 »
I was initially allocated a half plot but once it was up and running I asked if I could take on the other half and was given it.
There is a large waiting list in our area but there are plots on our site not allocated and others that are taken, worked for couple of month then left for a couple of years.  :unsure:
The council made the decision to allocate half plots because of the shortage but not chasing those that do not work their plots.  WHY!!!
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

xx
how are your veg plots doing ?

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 18:05
by Abbeyview
xx
plots for rent

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 10:17
by sunshineband
xx
Losing our plots

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 16, 2007, 12:10
by sweet nasturtium
xx
moving plots

Started by Falcon_man on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 16:19
by gillie

Page created in 1.082 seconds with 28 queries.