Marjoram

• 9 Replies

Eugene

Marjoram
« on: May 19, 2010, 20:41 »
Hi.

Does anybody have any experience of growing marjoram? I have been through three plans now and they just keep dying on me. I'm aware that as Mediterranean herbs they are pretty tough and stand up to a fair bit of abuse. I've tried them in the border, I've tried them in pots. Water, no water the lot.

Is there a trick to it? I'm having a similar problem with sage in pots also.

Cheers

Eugene.

Trillium

Re: Marjoram
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 21:03 »
I'm planning to grow it myself this summer but never figured it would be so troublesome. Here are a few tips:

http://herbgardening.com/growingmarjoram.htm

One site suggests starting the seeds in crumbled oasis (a garden display foam) which will hold the seeds in place but not let them get waterlogged.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 21:05 »
That's odd, my marjoram has been great even after I moved it to my new house this year.  Mine just go straight in, no manure or anything.  My beds have good drainage and are in a very sunny position. 

What variety are they?
Cheese makes everything better.

Eugene

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 21:09 »
Just says golden marjoram on the label. Small plants 3 or 4 inches in height and priced £1.50 from the local garden centre.

They start off well then just die. I think I over watered the first on as I didn't know they liked to be dry and basically abused ! Sadly others have since wilted and died too.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 21:17 »
I have some golden marjoram and they do seem to thrive on neglect. ::)  How long after you got them did they die?  Did you check the roots to see if anything was lurking there?

Personally, I would try again with plants from another garden centre.

SG6

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 21:43 »
I go with Ice, have some that I put out years ago. It has survived rain, sun, hail, frosts, winds and a cat sitting in the middle of it. ???

Have done absolutely nothing to it ever, except prune it when the flower stalks have become too high or dead, or it spreads too much of it. :blush:

It is a poorish patch, small, and the soil dries out and gets like rock. :tongue2:

noshed

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 22:43 »
Mine has been happy through the snow and is now growing away mightily. The sage and thyme seem OK as well.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 22:51 »
Grew some in pots last year for the first time and it was fine. Overwintered it in the greenhouse and it's now looking very healthy. Supposed to be cold sensitive but it survived outside temps of -15.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 23:01 »
My soil is dry and sandy and my mediterranean herbs are all grown in a sunny spot which happens to be near my kitchen ( :happy:)

Marjoram, thyme, sage and rosemary were fine for years but eventually started to look a bit weary. They cheered up considerably with nothing more than a modest dose of pelleted chicken manure this spring.

Even long-suffering plants with apparently few special needs appreciate a little bit of TLC occasionally!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:13 »
I mixed buiders sharp sand in with peat free compost and our marjoram is doing really well! Survived the winter no probs

I bought the builders sharp sand by accident when I meant to get horticultural but it's very gritty....

M

question
marjoram

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 13:56
by gypsy
xx
Tip for oregano/marjoram seedlings

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 21:24
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Marjoram / oregano flowers

Started by maloneranger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 22:09
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 34 queries.