advice for novice please

• 3 Replies

jaws

advice for novice please
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:11 »
I am new to this chicken keeping - 1 week. I bought one of the arks with the coop and nest box raised above the run and a ramp down. I have been reading this site and see hens need a perch/roost. There are two "batons" about 2.5 inches high across the floor of the coop. Are these supposed to be the perchs and are they high enough. I am happy to constuct a higher perch. Most of the poo ends up at one corner of the coop and the chickens are often huddled in that corner if I peek in at night. I don't want them getting foot disease.
If I go away for a weekend is it alright to leave the door to the coop open all night (this is enclosed in the caged area so is fox "proof")with enough food and water for a few days - in this cold weather I am thinking of putting water inside aswell to prevent it freezing. I have two 14 week old hens. I have put plenty of bedding in the nesting boxes.
Any other advice to a novice would be appreciated. Thanks
This is a grest site.

Roughlee Handled

Re: advice for novice please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26 »
Welcome to the forum.
These are young birds.  If you pick them up gently (once it has gone dark) and place them on the perch, they will soon get the hang of it.  It is fine that your perch is 2.5 inches high. 
You have a responsibility to your livestock and they MUST be checked everyday. Being so young  anything could happen over a weekend.  Have you a neighbour that could check on them in the mornings or evenings?  This would also be good training for them  (THE neighbour) when you go on holiday as you can not put chickens in  kennels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The promise of eggs is always a good bribe. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:31 by Roughlee Handled »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Molly Hen

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 19:21 »
Welcome Jaws
If you are worried about leaving your pop hole open, take a look at the different chicken sites for the automatic pop hole.  They are great.  You can either set it on a timer to suit, or you can set it to open and close to day light and night time.  I have had mine since the beginning of January and it is great.  No lying in bed on weekend feeling guilty because I am having a lie in.  They are not cheap, but in my opinion, a buy well worth it.

I totally agree with Roughlee, that you need someone to check on them every day. 

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23 »
Hello jaws and welcome  :)

Have to agree with the daily checks.

After 1 week, they are probably still settling in so don't worry too much about them looking worried if you peek in. If you use a dim, red light to look in, they tend to stay calmer.
If you can, once they are settled, you can try lifting them onto the perches so they work out where they're intended to sleep. Their instinct is to find a high place to perch, but arks obviously don't have the headroom for that so hopefully they'll get used to sleeping on the slats.
What breed are they ?

Rob 8)

xx
More advice for novice please

Started by jaws on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 18:06
by babe
xx
Housing and Laying advice for a novice

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 10:13
by Gerty333
xx
Novice help please

Started by arwen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 21:59
by Lindeggs
xx
Bantam Novice please help

Started by pammie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 20:54
by pammie

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 29 queries.