How much fresh food?

• 9 Replies

Wizz

How much fresh food?
« on: February 04, 2009, 16:42 »
Just aquired 4 Sussex Lights and want to do the best for them.  I'm new to this and have had a look at several posts about feeding fresh food like lettuce, potatoes, apples etc.  I see most of you recommend cooking most of the stuff first, but if I wanted to give mine say fresh lettuce, greens, apples etc am I ok to feed this on a daily basis or just once in a while.  They are on layers pelletts with two small handfulls of corn at bed time - what time is bed time by the way? :(  I gave them four cos lettuce leaves this morning and there is only the string left! So I take it that's a yes then!  :D Also anything that is a definite no-no to feed them.

Thanks  :)

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Re: How much fresh food?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 16:52 »
It is best to feed greens after they have had their staple mash or pellets, then treats during late afternoon before bed.

I also think you'll be able to judge by their poo.  If it's too runny then cut down on anything other than basic food.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 18:01 »
lol I say the opposite, especially with the recent discoveries about intensive/grain fed animals and omega oils. Most mash/pellets have the added double no-no of processed soya. Not that being unprocessed is an improvement, raw soya is toxic/indigestable, even for animals!

If you can, provide everything ad lib, (except for Cobbs) possibly restricting the maize, as many people report their birds eating too much.
In the summer, I found that the silkies and chicks actually left the maize, and sometimes even turned up their noses at wheat, in favour of scratching in the leaf litter under the shrubs!
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Molly Hen

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 19:13 »
I was told that lettuce can give them the runs ???
Might be worth giving only as a treat every now and then. 
I hung a cabbage on string from the roof on Monday morning and today, all that is left is the hard core bit.  It looks like the skeleton of the cabbage  :lol: ( sorry, little things amuse little minds  ::)

Mine also love natural yoghurt.... but they have no table manners and are very messy eaters.  They end up covered in the stuff. ::)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 20:31 »
Hi, I only give them treats now and again. Firstly, I want them to eat the pellets and mixed corn that I give them not just chuck it about. Secondly, I don't want them getting used to treats. It's a great way to get them to do what you want and to get close to the hens.

In the cold weather they have had a little more sympathy so a nice warm bowl of potato peelings in the moring or left over cerial with soya milk. They have just moved to a smaller enclosure and as everything is still covered in snow have not been let out round the garden. Usually they chomp all day on the grass but as this is not available I have given them a few broccoli leaves.

Consider treats like chocolate (you would not eat it every day). Also vary what you give them, don't over do it and keep it simple.

Tomorrow mine will have a little left over pasta, but will wait until the afternoon.

Wizz

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:21 »
Thank you all very much - I think I will view it as a treat.  They are definitely eating their pellets and I only throw in two small hand fulls of corn at bed time.  We are going to get an enclosure so they can scratch about in the garden so hopefully that's the way to go.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:32 »
Greens should be fed ad lib, IMHO and mine get corn 1/2 hr or so before they go to roost.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Debz

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40 »
I feed mine a bowl of cooked greens and peelings every morning at the same time as they get their pellets.  It doesn't seem to stop them eating their pellets.  I also give them a little bit of lettuce or pear in the afternoon when they get their corn.  They leave very little at the end of the day and I get an egg every day from each of them so they must be happy.

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50 »
Also anything that is a definite no-no to feed them.

Avoid citrus (although some people on here have fed them citrus fruits to no ill effect), and avocado for some reason.  Also definitely no green potato peelings.
Sue

shiatsusu

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:01 »
Ours don't seem interested in healthy scraps at all  :mad: they wolf down bread and ignore apple and cabbage. I've read it isn't wise to give bread too often- is that right? They have layer pellets and a bit of corn and porridge for breakfast during this cold snap but seem most interested in what's in the soil. As for bedtime, 3 of ours go to bed when dusk starts coming on, the fourth (and only egg layer so far as they are POL) stays out till dark as she's a big girl and thinks her bed time should be later than the littlies :D

xx
Fresh eggs

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 15:43
by karlooben
xx
fresh eggs . how soon til i can eat them

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 08:46
by craig1981
xx
My 1st Fresh Eggs :)

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 18:04
by Jellyhead
question
Fresh Veg & Worms!?!?

Started by bellina on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 17:35
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 1.081 seconds with 36 queries.