Advice on planting leeks please!

• 16 Replies

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice on planting leeks please!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 22:10 »
Yeah - i had actualy read up on this previously and from memory there is some who think it a good idea and others that dont.

Personally whilst i dont plant them at pencil thickness they always fatten up and turn out ok so im going to leave them as normal. I may do a short row with trimming them to see if there is any difference in the two with the same growing conditions. :)

I may very well join you in an experiment!  :D In that video he is planting out at "wax crayon" rather than "Pencil" stage   :). I wonder if I should leave them in the germination box a little longer?

Salmo

Re: Advice on planting leeks please!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 22:31 »
As an alternative to dibbing holes and planting them you can put a piece of downpipe size pipe over them with the leek plant at ground level.

This is a show technique and ensures that no earth gets in them. It is too fiddly for normal crops.

Do not backfill the pipe. The pipe should never cover more than 2/3rds of the plant. Start with 8 inch pipes and either change them for longer ones or add sections held on with gaffer tape.

If this is done where you sow without transplanting it is quite a relevation how much bigger these are than the same batch dibbed into holes. Transplanting and dibbing check the plants more than we think.

xx
Help with planting out leeks

Started by Nikkicola on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 22:24
by Nikkicola
xx
Planting Out Leeks!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 22:24
by Plottered
xx
Planting out leeks

Started by jerrynl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 14:43
by jerrynl
xx
Planting leeks

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 14:53
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 28 queries.