Chicken bullied and traumatised not eating

• 6 Replies

GMM

Chicken bullied and traumatised not eating
« on: March 15, 2012, 20:01 »
We have 5 chickens - 3 silkies and 2 larger breed-  one a rhode island - not sure what the other one is but it lays greeny blue eggs.  That is the one that bullied the ginger silky.  Her neck at the back is bare and we have separated and put her in a cage on her own - but she does not appear to be eating.  I wonder if she is frightened to eat as before when she was trying to eat that is when the other one used to chase her.   We are looking into buying a new coop for her but wonder if she will survive as she is drinking a little bit but not eating.  This has been going on for a few days now.  The 3 silkys are the original chickens we had but my son hatched the other two who are now bigger than the silkys and all laying.  I have tried lettuce which she used to love - any suggestions on food?  She goes toward the food (layers pellets)  but does not actually eat it.  We should have known better really as we have had a silky killed by a rhode island red before.  Chickens can be really nasty !  They have a large area to run around in.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken bullied and traumatised not eating
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 21:00 »
Hi

I would have thought she would eat once away from the rest if it was just bullying.  I think the vet needs to see her as chickens will bully a sick hen and there may be more going on than you think.  Lettuce would not be my choice in this situation - try wet mash or porridge.  You could make a porridge out of layers pellets.

If you do get them all back together, I'd suggest you install at least 2 feeders and 2 drinkers to make sure a bully hen can't guard a single source of food or water  :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:08 »
Hi i personaly would remove the offending chuck and isolate her for a couple of weeks, when you put her back she will be the newbe and will have lost her place at the top  :D as said your silkie should eat after being away from the rest and may have an illness,
Chicken crazy

GMM

Re: Chicken bullied and traumatised not eating UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 18:29 »
Thank you for suggestions.  I have taken the chicken to the vet today.  I found a vet in Sidcup Kent nearby that had a better knowledge of chickens.   He checked her over.  Prognosis unfortunately not good.  I did ask if it would be kinder to have her put to sleep.  He said she is very underweight and traumatised.  He sprayed her deep wounds and he said there were other older wounds.  We thought she had lost an eye to the attack but vet checked right eye and it is just closed have to bathe as a bit gunky.  He prescribed antibiotics.  Have got a syringe and he said see what happens over the weekend and have made an appointment for Monday - if she perks up will cancel that appointment.  Cost so far £32.  Have got a syringe for the antibiotics and the food to force feed if necessary.  He said to put some honey in water to get her hydrated.  She has perked up a bit since coming home and has been drinking water on her own but still not eaten.  Bought some chick crumb I think we should have bought layers mash as mixed crumb with water and dont think it is lumpy enough.  Although not sure of what consistency to put in syringe should it be liquidy as dont want the chicken to choke!   

GMM

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 20:39 »
I have been looking up on the internet as the vet also mentioned about her opening and closing her beak.  I have been reading up on worms I found some information and I quote :
"May have diarrhoea, opening and shutting of beak, drop in egg production, increase in food intake, thin and lethargic birds that are prone to illness. "
The vet never mentioned worms....  :mad:

kegs

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 20:54 »
Worming may be necessary immediately but others will advise whether you can do this with a hen that is on antibiotics.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:09 »
antibiotics can flush everything out so I would wait until afterwards before worming.
If you open her beak and take a look down her throat you can check to see if she has any gape worm in there.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Traumatised chicken??

Started by Emma S on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 17:50
by Emma S
xx
traumatised chicken urgent advice please

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 08:19
by joyfull
xx
Bullied hen not eating lost a lot of weight

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 12:59
by newChickenMummy
xx
Chicken being bullied

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 01:55
by joshbuchan

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 31 queries.