hen won't leave the nesting box

• 2 Replies

magiemay

hen won't leave the nesting box
« on: October 26, 2010, 16:35 »

I have 3 hens and one of them - the silver sussex -has decided she doesn't want to come out of the nesting box at all.  This started about a month ago and I thought she was going broody as she kept rosey and fluffed all her feathers up at me when I went near her.  I keep hooking her out into the run but she goes straight back in again.   I've tried making a little area in the run on her own so that the other 2 can go and lay and putting the pop-hole down when they have done so she can't go in, but nothing seems to have any effect.  She is eating and drinking well, her comb is red and she seems very healthy.  Any ideas on anything else I can do to get her to come out and start laying again,  as she was laying every day until this started.

PaulineM

Re: hen won't leave the nesting box
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 18:28 »
Hi
My banty is just them same, it is nearly 6 weeks now and I made a broody cage and everything and she still hasn't snapped out of it.
When my one chicken out of six has laid I close up the coop and let her out of the broody coop so the other can move her about but she  is determined to remain broody.
I didn't try dunking her bottom but I will the next time she starts going broody.
Just try to make her uncomfortable and maybe she will come out of it. As long as she is eating a drinking I don't think we can do much more.  :(
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

magiemay

Re: hen won't leave the nesting box
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 21:40 »

Thanks Pauline
                        It does seem a long time to be broody - my books all say about 21 days but they can't be right.
  I have tried dunking her in a bucket of warm water but she just seemed to enjoy that, perhaps cold might be better, more of a shock but it seemed a bit cruel!   Looks like I've just got to be patient and hope she comes out of it.
 Has your Banty started laying again?

xx
Nesting box

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 13:50
by Bren200
xx
nesting?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 23:18
by viettaclark
xx
nesting box

Started by brrian on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 16:48
by kegs
xx
Hi and nesting box

Started by Jade23 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:09
by Jade23

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 29 queries.