spraying brassicas

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

spraying brassicas
« on: November 23, 2010, 13:57 »
i know its a bit premature but we must ask these things if we are to achieve any sort of results on the lottie before we start next year  :wub:

as i;ve said on a previous occasion on this site i grow my brassicas in poly sheeting the question i would ask is what do you spray your brassicas with and what period of time do you spray  say monthly  thats assuming you spray your brassicas of course  ::)

is spraying effective for cabbage butterfly caterpillars etc and what would you recommend as i seem to have Nealy mastered the weed problem i did say nearly but not the bugs :mad:

any advise

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: spraying brassicas
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 14:37 »
I don't spray my cabbages.  I use enviromesh to prevent the caterpillars / butterflies.

If you do decide to use chemicals, double check the label to ensure a) that the product is licensed for use on that plant, and b) the maximum number of sprays per season & the interval.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 14:41 »
I don't spray my cabbages.  I use enviromesh to prevent the caterpillars / butterflies.

If you do decide to use chemicals, double check the label to ensure a) that the product is licensed for use on that plant, and b) the maximum number of sprays per season & the interval.
and the time of harvest after the last spray
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 14:45 »
I use netting against Butterflies and spray, against whitefly, with soapy water!

It may be illegal but it works for me 8)   
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 15:02 »
On the other hand pesticides are bit bad. Considering we humans doing lot of bad things to the environment and being good sometimes (growing stuffs) I would certainly avoid pesticides, even if I get disappointing results I would be happy that I would be healthy to grow more next year rather than having the chemical injested in me.  :)
Just a thought for two pence

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:18 »
thank all for your replies that are duly noted

i know its an emotive subject spraying chemicals into the already polluted atmosphere its just that it always gets me thinking when i go into most supermarkets all the produce is so uniform wrapped washed and no signs of tiny holes in the cabbage like MY brassicas >:(

HOW DO THEY DO IT STANLEY :ohmy:

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 21:03 »
all the produce is so uniform wrapped washed and no signs of tiny holes in the cabbage

and that's the reason we grow our own!!

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 23:34 »
Last year, my first, I had yellow stained fingers from picking off and squidging caterpillers from my brassicas. This year I used mesh and had no trouble except for white fly. Clouds of them . Mind you every one else had also. Have noted Coaches method of soap spray

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 00:24 »
Net cover to keep off the bigger pests... What harm do a few swarms of whitefly do?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I've had some great crops and the whitefly scarper when you knock the plants a few times and wash the crop off under the tap.

[Soapy water.... dreadful stuff!!!  ::) A few squirts when no one is looking can help deter the caterpillars if the hand-picking method doesn’t work satisfactorily....although it is, of course, not recommended!!!]

Like many others I'd prefer my brassicas to be as free from added chemicals as possible or there's little point in growing them.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 16:37 »

i know its an emotive subject spraying chemicals into the already polluted atmosphere its just that it always gets me thinking when i go into most supermarkets all the produce is so uniform wrapped washed and no signs of tiny holes in the cabbage like MY brassicas >:(

They use pesticides to control any ermmm pests  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 16:50 »

They use pesticides to control any ermmm pests  :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 17:02 »
Despite sometimes feeling a little nostalgic for some of the chemicals we used to be able to squirt, puff or spray on our vegetables it is more than compensated for by knowing that the end product only contains what nature intended!

Not so the commercial growers!

(Note the maximum number of applications and the spray intervals on page 4!)  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Spraying chits

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 19:00
by Totty
xx
spraying new plot

Started by razzmick on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 16:41
by arugula
xx
DIY dye for glyphosphate spraying.

Started by Little Flower on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 17:17
by Candide
xx
Potato spraying

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 03, 2018, 07:31
by DHM

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 30 queries.