Has anyone put up the price of their eggs?

• 34 Replies

Missie

Has anyone put up the price of their eggs?
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:20 »
Hi,after reading many articles and also with the cost of feed rising heavily has anyone put their organic free range eggs=at the gate up in price?

I have been selling mine for £1.00 for half a dozen but I need to really be selling at £1.35 per half dozen to cover my cost's.I have 60+ hens now and getting approx 2-3 dozen per day-they have gone potty this spring.However I am buying in bulk trade and still spend an average of £80.00 every six weeks!-I do have 12 ducks and two geese as well.

Your replies are appreciated!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Has anyone put up the price of their eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:31 »
I haven't but as my organic feed went up horrendously (not trade prices) I no longer feed organic, so cheaper costing feed now.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Missie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50 »
Hi Joyfull.

All my feed is GM free,I have never used anything else.I use either Spillers or Heygates,both age old firms.My supplier would not sell anything modified. but the wheat and mixed corn has also gone up at least £1.00 per 25kg and due to rise again,I know it does not sound a lot but when you add it all up it can be expensive.

Some do not take into account how much time is spent with the flock,which can take up heaps,especially if anyone is like me and checks them all over weekly.I clean out every week to 10 days and yet know a gamekeeper whom has Never cleaned out his hens and said the poop is as high as the perches!He said that My hens not only live in luxury but I go overboard and they do not need this amount of cleanliness!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:56 »
Sounds to me like your game keeper is not looking after his hens properly. What about amonia build up in the coop and surely it stinks ? I'd rather be in your flock than his !
the layers pellets at our local have gone up but I only have 3 hens a bag lasts me ages!!! and don't get to many eggs 21 a week max. not really worth me selling them but I think you should increase your price. Ultimetly the price increase has to be past on to the consumer. 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:02 »
He will be using the deep litter system which doesn't need cleaning out very often and does work at keeping bugs and germs down once it has been set up.

GM free is not organic so I do hope you aren't selling your eggs as such (also to be organic your ground has to be checked). Mine were fed on Allen and Page organic but as my ground hasn't been tested and they also free range in the local fields which aren't organic I could only say mine were fed on organic feed but did also free range elsewhere. I now feed Bearts.

I don't charge for my time as I am not a business and keep hens as pets I also don't clean out weekly but every 2-3 weeks depending on how many decide to sleep in whatever coop. I am currently changing over though to plastic coops so my costs will go down further - no poultry shield, diatom etc  :).

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:03 »
At the end of the day it is up to you and whether you think your customers will still buy at a higher price. Mine would, I think if i explained why. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Missie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:24 »
He will be using the deep litter system which doesn't need cleaning out very often and does work at keeping bugs and germs down once it has been set up.

GM free is not organic so I do hope you aren't selling your eggs as such (also to be organic your ground has to be checked). Mine were fed on Allen and Page organic but as my ground hasn't been tested and they also free range in the local fields which aren't organic I could only say mine were fed on organic feed but did also free range elsewhere. I now feed Bearts.

I don't charge for my time as I am not a business and keep hens as pets I also don't clean out weekly but every 2-3 weeks depending on how many decide to sleep in whatever coop. I am currently changing over though to plastic coops so my costs will go down further - no poultry shield, diatom etc  :).
I am not sure about his deep litter system,it is an old shed of sorts with earthen floor,however,the poop is everywhere for the hens to walk through-some say the DLS should have a restricted area under the perches away from their feet so to speak,others will say they leave it as suggested and let them scratch through it.The poop really is 2 ft in height and that is everywhere.

Regards GM free and Organic.My supplier says he does not believe in it-(his words are what rubbish as it has the same ingredients)-he can supply organic feed and is very expensive,he says his father had 2000 free range hens as part of his business and only ever used spillers and feels people are being led up the gumtree about feeds.

I must add,he is 65 now,his father is long gone but based upon this surely he must know what he is talking about would you not think?

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:34 »
I only pointed out the organic bit as you said you fed them on organic, and organic is not the same as GM free. A lot of people do not believe in organic and I myself am not organic but fed my hens on this feed as I liked the taste of the eggs. I can tell the difference now I have changed (but this could be psychological  :lol:).
If you have any concerns over the welfare of the mans hens and feel they are suffering then you could report him to the RSPCA or better still Defra.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:47 »
Mmmmm, like Joy says, there is deep litter and there is deep litter!

Our biggest house is sometimes deepish litter, but we don't just let the girls tramp all over the poop.  The idea is, once one layer of bedding is soiled, you put another layer over the top, keeping everything dry and 'friable'!   But it shouldn't be damp or wet and it shouldn't be up to the height of the perches.

The first commercial battery farm I ever visited was when I worked for the NFU and they took us newbies out to show us some of their clients.

We had to go up these stairs to the first floor where all the battery cages were.  It stunk something terrible.  When I asked where all the poop went, the farmer said oh it just drops down there and every year when we get rid of a flock, the tractors go in and collect it all.  But at least the hens aren't walking on it I suppose!  :(

What that bloke is doing is wrong.  The ammonia can damage the hens respiratory systems and the poo can damage their feet.

Oh and as to your post title, I haven't put up the price of our eggs yet.  Brian keeps on about it, but it seems to be covering our costs.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:49 by GrannieAnnie »

Missie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:00 »
Hi Grannie,
Yes I agree totally,his is just poop-no straw,chip or otherwise just 2ft of poop! and I suppose he wonders why he has hens which croak it suddenly!(I have never lost one!)

The picture I used last year shows Mary a Maran when she came to me,this Maran came from him,after one year of having me as Mum-this is how she looks now :)

I have just put up my prices to £1.25 per half dozen outside,besides the stall was refurbed yesterday ready for the summer!
Marys first day.JPG
Mary1yearlater.JPG

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:03 »
she looks completely different - well done  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 09:14 »
Oh Missie, she is beautiful!  Such a shame when they are not looked after!  People like him shouldn't keep animals of any kind!  >:(

You can even see the difference in her eyes!  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 09:31 »
Our hen food has gone up 25% in 3 months, we noticed the eggs in the supermarket had gone up too, we were selling our eggs (which are mostly larger than the supermarkets largest eggs) for less than the supermarket eggs!  We were selling them for 2€  a dozen, we are now selling them for 2.50€  one customer hasn't come back, the others still buy.  If the output of eggs goes up, we are getting 8-10 eggs a day at the moment, we will reduce the price.  If we are short of eggs we buy supermarket eggs for us,  not wanting to let folk down.  So in winter eating one of our hens egg is a treat!  We have 20 hens, 14 are old girls now.... We still get eggs but not as many.  I am getting 6 more hens soon!
Pamela

evie2

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 12:25 »
We only sell to friends, they supply their own box and we charge 90p for 6 eggs as for family they don't pay ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

jinty1911

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 12:46 »
I bought a box of 4 supermarket medium free-range eggs yesterday.  I got a lovely surprise when I opened the box last night.  4 beautiful darkish brown large eggs and they were only 30p!!!  :D  :D

xx
Price of eggs.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:29
by Raven81
xx
? price of duck eggs

Started by violet on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:19
by violet
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 29 queries.