price

• 13 Replies

mumof4

price
« on: April 30, 2008, 19:58 »
Right now that we have decided wto take the plunge and have started to look at coups i need to know how much i should expect to pay.

I live on the edge of bristol 1 mile from the bath and north east somerset and 1 mile from south glous. I'm looking for a breed or mix that will lay well but be friendly enough for the children.

I've seen lots of adverts for eggs and then a massive jump in price for hens several weeks older. I was thinking maybe try to get them small so the children and me gain confidence in handling them.

So how much should I be paying - looking to get 4/5

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
price
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 20:26 »
I'd go for POL to be honest they will be fully grown and tough enough to take care of themselves, You can pay around about £4.50/ bird for warren hybrids round here mine where about £6 they are Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex nice big bird. :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumof4

price
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 20:41 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I'd go for POL to be honest they will be fully grown and tough enough to take care of themselves, You can pay around about £4.50/ bird for warren hybrids round here mine where about £6 they are Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex nice big bird. :D

Oh thanks- i've seen so many different prices and so many different breeds and the children put the pressure on as they ask everyday when are they coming.

(sorry about all the questions)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
price
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 20:48 »
Quote from: "mumof4"

(sorry about all the questions)

No need to be sorry it's what the forums are for, just ask someone will invariably know or at least have a good idea.  :D

We have had warrens in the past nice brown hen and very friendly will soon get used to you and the kids esp if you have a few treats in your hand ( not to many tho  :lol: ) they will happily follow you around, jumping on spades and forks as you dig

babe

• elvis king of chooks
price
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 20:56 »
out of all the breeds i have, the warrens and my brahma are the friendliest.

do have a look in the photo's section. and see which breeds you like the look of, then ask all you'd like to know about them.

average is £6 for hybrids / £10 - £30 + for pure bred.

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
price
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 21:17 »
I bought pure breeds they were £14 each I'd go for the Hybrids next time, warrens probably, are they hybrids?

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
price
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 22:26 »
It just depends what you want - I would never part with my funky looking pure breeds now - couldnt ever imagine having normal chickens. I suppose everyone feels like that about their own though as you learn all their different personality traits and that is what you love them for!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
price
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 23:23 »
Quote from: "Shazzer"
I bought pure breeds they were £14 each I'd go for the Hybrids next time, warrens probably, are they hybrids?

Yep bred to lay and lay, don't go broody as a general rule, even if they do they forget after a day or two  :roll:  well mine did  :D

compostqueen

price
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:15 »
I bought mine purely for egg production as I run my own B & B and the guy recommended brown hybrids as being the most prolific layers.  I got 3 brown uns, all a different shade of brown so I can tell them apart, and mine fully vaccinated cost £7 each

They're gorgeous  :D

Foxy

price
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:00 »
faverolles are sooo friendly, mine lay really well and through winter, they used to be a pure bred utility french breed but a lot are now bred for exhibition. I am currently breeding some smashing ones! (and so is babe :wink: )

babe

• elvis king of chooks
price
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13 »
ive had a little look, somethings stirring in the eggys  :lol:

popcorn decided that being a mum was too much hard work.... so poor fraggle is sitting on 12 eggs, she doesnt seem phased at all.

2 weeks to go  :D

heatherrevell

price
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50 »
I agree with the Point of Lay suggestion...I've just got chickens for my school and have done this even though we hatched chicks in a project 2 months ago.  Chicks will not lay for ages (7-8 months) so although it is interesting to watch them develop you will not have the enjoyment of collecting eggs for ages.Hope this is useful,
Heather

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
price
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 20:04 »
Hey there Mumof4,

I'm a newbie to all of this too.  I've had my chooks for 2 1/2 months now and am learning lots about keeping them.

I bought them POL and paid £8 for each of them which I thought was a bargain but I see now from the posts above that I paid over the odds!  My chooks are Columbian Blacktails (brown hybrids) and they are the breed that Waitrose for all of it's eggs.

I have to say I totally adore them.  They started laying within 2 weeks and we are loving the eggs every day.

Chickenstreet

price
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 20:25 »
I paid £10 each for my girls at POL. They are ISA Browns - battery hen hybrid types which look like the ones described here as Warrens.  They are wonderful birds for us beginners - very sociable, easy to handle and they started laying after two weeks. I'd say that what they might lack in the glamour hen department they make up for in other ways!
My Blog:Only Us Chickens

xx
Price of eggs.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:29
by Raven81
xx
price of chooks

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 19:01
by SnooziSuzi
xx
what do you think about my hens price?

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 23:08
by LivvyW
xx
help on a fair price...

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 23:33
by chooknewbie

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 28 queries.